We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
560 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

We are going to be in St. Maarten. Exactly how do you get to Pinel beach from terminal...How long does it take? We have been to St. Maarten a number of times and just want a quiet few hours on a beach...with facilities, toilet, beach chairs etc. If we go to Pinel Beach will we be stuck there or is there an easy way to get back?

Caracas
Level Contributor
700 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Pinel is in the far north of the island, 30-45 minutes from ships terminal. You have to take a cab. Once there, you need to take a boat and 5 minutes later you are in Pinel. The beach is awesome and worth the trip, in the parking lot you must find taxis to go back to ship, but I recommend you to deal with the same taxi in order to pick you up in the afternoon, or do the trip with a ship tour.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,221 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Pinel is not a beach, but a small island off the coast of St Martin that has a nice beach and some expensive restaurants.

Toronto
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Visited Pinel on Nov 10th. We were staying at Sonesta Great Bay. We took a $2US bus ride from downtown Philisburg to catch the $7US round trip boat ride to Pinel. The boat comes every 30mins. But what we didn't realize when we were coming back was that there are no local buses or taxis. We ended up walking and walking to the next major intersection which I wouldn't do again. I recommend to have your taxi waiting for you to get to the ship. Last boat ride back was 5pm. Yellow Beach is the restaurant there: 2chairs and and umbrella cost 20euros and beer/mixed drinks 5-6euros. Did not try food there. Wifi was slow. Had port a potty as washrooms. Snorkeling was great but bring ur water shoes. No waves, calm waters.

yellowbeach@caribeserve.net

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Oh my. You did it all wrong. Next time take a taxi, pay him on your return trip after he picks you up. Take your own beer and water too. Pinel is a great place to spend the day and you don't have to dump a ton of money to do so.

Worldwide Traveler
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Hi, would like to spend the day at Pinel. How much is the ball park figure for a cab and how do you convince the driver not to get paid till he takes you back?

Shelley

USA
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

I would think that you would spend a great deal of time "getting there"...and not have too much time to actually enjoy Pinel.

Coming in on a cruise ship, your day is very limited.

Worldwide Traveler
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Thanks for the input but will be in port for approx 9 hours. Will have enough time to do Pinel Beach. At least I believe I will. Even with transport taking at most 1 hour in each direction will still leave me 7 hours to kick back and enjoy.

Worldwide Traveler
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Still need to know how you convince a cab driver to come back for pick up with out paying them. Also pricing approx and time if you know it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Not sure regarding how much but I would guess more than $50. As well, the worker said he can call a taxi for us but how much THAT taxi will charge is another question since you can't really say no and take another one. There aren't none waiting. Getting there may take 30mins-45mins. Remember last boat ride back from Pinel to mainland is 5pm

Worldwide Traveler
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pinel Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Thanks for the info.

Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten