We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to St. Martin, Is it worth goting to Saba for Diving?

NJ
Level Contributor
66 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Going to St. Martin, Is it worth goting to Saba for Diving?

I am going to St. Martin In December, 2012. I am a fairly new scuba diver. Should I take the trip to Saba or just dive in St. Martin? What is he best way to get to Saba. I will be staying at the Oyster Bay Beach Resort. Thanks for advice.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to St. Martin, Is it worth goting to Saba for Diving?

Yes it is. Keep in mind it's an all day commitment. Only two ways to get there. Fly or on the Edge high speed cat. The Edge leaves Simpson Bay Marina around 9:00am and returns at 5:00 pm. Gives you a two tank dive. You can book this with Aqua Mania at the Simpson Bay Marina where Dive Adventures is also located.

Aqua Mania's site is www.stmaarten-activities.com

Dive Adventures is the best on the island and is highly rated on tripadvisor. Read all the reviews. Do a search and you'll see what I'm talking about. Been diving with them for over 12 years with over 150 dives with them.

When you dive Saba go with Sea Saba. I have used them all and find they are the best.

NJ
Level Contributor
66 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to St. Martin, Is it worth goting to Saba for Diving?

Scubaman, Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what makes Saba worth the trip? If I take the Edge, I can't dive the Pinnacles. What are they like? I am only Open Water certified so I need to know how deep they dive at the Pinnacles. Anything else I need to know about Saba diving? Thanks.

Linda

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to St. Martin, Is it worth goting to Saba for Diving?

They do three dives each day. A deep dive in the morning before the Edge arrives to about 120". Not reccommended for a novice open water diver. I have never gone that deep with as many dives I have done and see no need to. The dives you'll be doing are the next dive around 85'-95' and a second dive at around 70'-60'.

Diving Saba is a treat. Lots of sea life along the walls and endless visability through crystal clear blue water.

Saba is rated as one of the top five warm water dive destinations. Your that close to it so you sould experience it. Sea Saba will take good care of you and make your dives safe with their dive profiles.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to St. Martin, Is it worth goting to Saba for Diving?

if you are only going to st maarten for a week i would skip saba. if there for two weeks, it is a fun day. even better if you could stay a night or two (we are hoping to do that one of these days).

keep in mind that it can be quite rough crossing on the ferry. we also went in dec once and there were people getting sick all over the boat. it was fine for us. we also got to see some dolphin. cool.

but the rough seas also made the diving a bit of a challenge. it could be tricky for a novice. but of course weather is hit and miss so you never know what your gonna get.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to St. Martin, Is it worth goting to Saba for Diving?

btw....i second the reccommendation to use dive adventures. but considering where you are staying you might want to use a closer shop in philipsburg. (maybe scuba fun or caribbean dive college)

6. Re: Going to St. Martin, Is it worth goting to Saba for Diving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten