We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from St. Martin

Marietta...
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Back from St. Martin

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help and advice in regards to our recent trip to St. Martin. We found the island to be a really great experience and we hope to be able to come back some day. I was worried about the crime on the island but I can honestly say we had no issues what so ever and I felt quite safe the whole time we were there. My favorite experiences were going to Pineal island, visiting Shoal Bay in Anguilla, going to Orient and Baie Rouge beaches in St. Martin, eating at the Boathouse, Chesterfielda, and Pineapple Pete's and going to the Orange Fever beach bar and Sunset was a blast! What a great trip we had.

Marietta...
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Back from St. Martin

We did not have to call him, we just gave him our flight itinerary ahead of time and he knew when we would be arriving and he was waiting for us in the parking lot. He ran our credit card and we agreed on a time we would return the car to the parking lot and off we went. We did rent a cellphone while on the island from a lady they call "The Queen of SXM". You can google her if you are interested in renting a cellphone from her. It was such an easy process, I filled out the form online for the phone, told her I wanted 15 mins. of time placed on the phone and Lesley picked the phone up for us on his way to meet us the day we arrived and then before we went to the airport to depart we dropped off the phone to the Queen of SXM. We basically just had the phone in case of an emergency, otherwise we were fortunate enough to have internet in our villa so we stayed connected with family this way. Oh the phone rental is $25 and then the 15 mins of time was $5. Not bad for peace of mind. She requires you to pay cash when you return the phone. She is in an office at the Royal Palms. The whole process of picking up the phone and car was very easy and it made for a great start of our vacation. Hope this helps.

california
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Back from St. Martin

I just returned as well from St. Maarten...great trip. We used

Leisure Car Rental....Jimmy and Jacqueline. I read so many great reviews online that I put aside my uneasiness and booked with them. We reserved a car for 5 Hyundai (didn't have to put any deposit) he asked for our flight number and even though we were 2 hours late he was there with a sign and the car on the curb. Same as another post, we used the credit card took the $5.00 a day liability and drove off. We returned the car at the curb at the airport departure door. No problems and the car was in great shape. We didn't even use a tank of gas for the week.

Bethesda Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Back from St. Martin

I just got back yesterday from a week in St. Maarten and we rented a compact car from Europcar. We used our American Express card so we did not have to worry about collission, but we did pay the $8.00 per day for liability. Our total for the week was $218.00. The first car we rented was falling apart. The front seat arm rest kept popping up every time we hit a bump and the trunk would not stay open when we needed to use it. After three days, we took it back and asked for a better car. They happily exchanged it for a car in near perfect condition -- The tail light covers were broken, but the lights still worked.

There are kiosks at the airport for most every kind of rental car and they will arrange for a shuttle to the rental car lot.

I found the driving to be similiar to driving in any big city. People turn quickly, stop quickly, and you have to squeeze through some pretty tight spaces. You just need to be alert.

Edited: 3:59 pm, June 26, 2011
Boston...
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Back from St. Martin

I was wondering what is the best option to transfer all your luggage from the airport to Orient Bay where we will be staying. If we rent a small car I am afraid all the luggage will not fit in it (we are traveling with two kids). I know Hertz are offering hotel transfers but I dont know how much they charge for this. Any ideas? Any other transfer options that you know of?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Back from St. Martin

Take a taxi to the hotel and rent a car after you check in.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,407 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Back from St. Martin

Kenny's does not require you to pay in cash. You can if you want, but he takes CC's.

17. Re: Back from St. Martin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 02, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten