We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

new jersey
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Anyone ever use Lucky's and Hibiscus Car Rental

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

Never used them - thought you wanted one near to Divi - they have a rental guy at the hotel - Thrifty - gets mixed reviews but you have the advantage of renting on site and any problems can be handled quickly.

Edited: 1:14 pm, May 02, 2011
Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

Do I need an international driver's license?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

No, not needed.

Valley Stream Long...
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

No you don't. Once it is six months valid I believe. I use Thrifty at Divi and think they are superb. Heard of Luckys but do not know how good/bad they are.

Park Ridge, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

We just returned from St. Maarten and rented with St. Louis Car Rental for 6 days. The car was clean and in good condition, and everything went smoothly from start to finish. I would recommend them highly.

We were able to purchase a third party collision damage waiver insurance for our car with a company called Travel Guard. The policy only cost $7-9 a day, but covered any damage that may occur to the car minus a $250 deductible. The other car rental companies on the island offer CDW insurance with a much higher deductible ($500-1,000), and many of them do not let you purchase a policy from a third party insurer, so your deductible will wind up being much higher.

Finally, Marius from St. Louis Car Rental was honest, friendly and dependable. He was there when we got off the plane, and met us at the airport when it was time to return the car. The final cost of the rental was exactly what we agreed upon before we signed the contract. Overall, this was a very positive experience, and we plan on using them again the next time we're in St. Maarten.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

Visa and MC offer free CDW/LDW coverage with no deductable - just decline the coverage offered by the rental company. Also confirm coverage by calling your credit card company.

7. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, July 29, 2011
Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
346 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

I agree. Dollar/Thrifty is great. I wouldnt recommend renting at the hotel, but if you are staying at a hotel, its nice to check out what car rental they have on site. Divi, Oyster Bay, Pelican (Simpson Bay Resort) has Dollar or Thrifty. Sonesta Maho, Great Bay and Raddison has Hertz, etc. Its nice to rent a car from a company that present on the resort as well, in the event you have any issues.

California
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

I called Visa and American Express and neither cover liability while out of the country.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

Yes, but you can get CDW/LDW coverage free with your credit card and no deductable - (Collision Damage Waiver / Loss Damage Waiver) - Liability you can purchase from the car rental company, some like Hertz Sint Maarten include the liability in the quoted rate.

Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten