We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in St. Maarten

Phoenix/NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beaches in St. Maarten

Cruising on the NCL Epic October 9, 2010. Six of us (husbands and wives) ranging in ages from 62 to 74 will be spending a day in St. Maarten. We love the beach however at age 62 I no longer feel comfortable with my own personal nudity. Age and gravity have taken hold of my 62 year old figure. Any suggestions for a beautiful beach for sunbathing (with a bathing suit) and snorkeling for my group. I guess we are looking for a family oriented beach that also offers lots of water activities (parasailing etc). The cruise line does offer a day at Orient Beach excursion. Any suggestion would be most appreciated. Topless is ok. We don't want to go to a beach to gawk at others (as an earlier post suggested) we just want to go somewhere where we feel comfortable and can enjoy ourselves. Thanks.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,977 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

http://www.sxm-beaches.com/

Normally I'd say Orient but take a look at all of them, see if you find one you like...

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

Might I suggest that if the cruise line offers a trip to Pinel that you all book that one. Pinel island is lovely and holds everything you are looking for. It has the restaurants (although very pricey), it has water sports, it has easy access in and out of the water, and it does not have total nudity except maybe on the other side of the island where it is more isolated. Topless is accepted. I truly think that you would enjoy this side trip.

The only reason I suggest doing this trip with the cruise line is because they are more experienced in when you should head back to the ship. If you are on your own, you would need to arrange with a driver to pick you up at an agreed time at the pier to take you back to the ship and the boat that takes you to and from this small island runs, I believe on the 1/2 hour.

PS. I do not think that Pinel offers parasailing and I believe that Orient may be one of the only places that does offer this.

Edited: 8:33 pm, September 18, 2010
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

Just because they have a nude beach doesn't mean you HAVE TO be nude. When we were at Orient Beach we stayed near the chairs being rented out by Coco Beach. We didn't see many totally nude bathers, maybe one and he chose to stay away from where the chairs were set up, he was near the more isolated area. Some where topless, and I have to say, we did have fun trying to pinpoint the implants versus the naturals....lol But most people don't walk up and down the beach nude, topless, yes fully nude no. At least we didn't see them when we went.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

The last time we were in St.Maarten we stayed within walking distance of Bay Rouge...Not overloaded with tourists there is a beach bar there nice and quiet..You can also rent chairs and umbrellas..

Safe travels....jimmy

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

Orient is lovely and you certainly don't have to go nude. and its an easy drive from the cruise ship terminal.

some people just enjoy hanging out at the Philipsburg beach too which can even be walked to from the cruise ship. water taxis bring you there also.

another nice beach is Oyster Bay beach, also a short drive from the cruise ship terminal.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

There are different sections on Orient Beach and there's a sign that tells you where the nude section begins. So you could still enjoy Orient without going to the nude beach.

There are a lot of nice beach bars, places to have lunch, little shops in the sand, watersports, and places to rent chairs and umbrellas.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
465 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

Unless you are looking for amenities like parasailing etc than you may want to consider Friars. It has good snorkeling (especially compared to Orient), calm water, and a great lunch spot in Friars Beach Cafe that offers free chairs and umbrellas if you have lunch there. While topless will exist, I haven't see total nudity there.

allentown pa
Level Contributor
222 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

If you only have 1 day ( then stick to a beach close to the boat), or go to Pinel if you do an excurtion. The closest nice beach that I have experienced would be Mullet which is nice but tend to be crowded. Drive a bit more to French side and go to Red Bay (Baie Rouge). these are both easy to find. But in between is Long Bay or Prune Bay which is a bit more tricky to get to as you need to go through the lowlands but there are a lot less tourists and just as nice. Enjoy.

Watsonville, Ca.
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

How far is the beach from the cruise ship/ What do we take to get there?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,977 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches in St. Maarten

Here you are again - I believe it should be $20.00. The fares are fixed by law and posted at the taxi stand. The ride is about 30 minutes +/-.

Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten