We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free Shopping

Austalia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free Shopping

Hi, Is duty free shopping as good and reputable as I've heard in St Martin? I am traveling from Australia but spending time before and after in Dallas, Texas. I would like to purchase a brand name watch and was wondering if there was a decent range at the French/Dutch duty free shops? Any advice would be most welcome and appreciated. Thanks, Paul.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,383 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free Shopping

This is a 100% duty free island, every shop,every item no matter where you purchase it, no special customs arrangements needed.

Be sure you know in advance the price range of the item(s) you wish to purchase, not everything is a bargain, you have to be a smart shopper and do your homework before you purchase.

Usually good deals on watches can be found along Front Street in Philipsburg.

http://www.experiencestmaarten.com/shopping/

experiencestmaarten.com/shopping/directory.h…

I wish you good shopping...

Edited: 8:49 am, April 06, 2010
Austalia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free Shopping

Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated.

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free Shopping

Little Switzerland will be a great "first stop". You can start by getting a feel for pricing by looking online. It helps greatly if you know the art of bargaining and shop Philipsburg on the day (s) when no ships are in harbor or no more than one or two.And remember--bargain--bargain-bargain.--in a happy way and NEVER get angry. There are great deals to be had, but you must know the art of making a deal----and what is and is not a bargain/great deal. Google Watches,SXM and/or Jeweler's,SXM and look around. Good luck!

Austalia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free Shopping

Thanks again for the advice.

5. Re: Duty free Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 04, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten