We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samal island FAQ

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Samal island FAQ

Hi,

Finally have posted my Davao photos on my blog - you are welcome to post questions and comments, and I will answer them. If there are many comments, I just might get off my lazy bum and write more in the blog. he he!

Here are the photos -

http://expattraveller.blogspot.com/

Stayed at Hof Gorei - absolutely stunning! The only qualm I have is - time was too less!

How to reach -

Fly into Davao - Air Asia has excellent discount tickets from Clark. We paid just 2000 pesos per head. The landing is beautiful, as the plane flies above the coral reefs.

Thence take a taxi to Santa Ana wharf / Magsaysay park. Ignore the insistent private taxi drivers who descend upon you as you exit the airport. Just take one of the metered taxis on the left side. Costs 140 pesos if I recollect right. 20 minutes. Or was it 55 pesos? Something like that.

Santa ana wharf -

is a rubble and makes you wonder if you are at the right place. Hof Gorei has a free bangka service at 11 am and 2 pm daily. This is the only way to reach. Road is too cumbersome. The baot ride takes 1 hour.

Where to stay?

There are about 30 + resorts in Samal garden island - to suit various budgets. Hof Gorei charged us about 2500 pesos per night, breakfast and transport included. See this detailed map - 3.bp.blogspot.com/-z2r1H31iK3g/UHUFyNc28zI/AAAAAAAACaY/p_ITsiTTdRM/s1600/map+of+samal.jpg OR here - …blogspot.com/2012/10/davao-stunning-beaches… and choose where you want to stay. Directly contact the resort. Some need an online payment, some need a bank transfer, and some are happy with an email booking confirmed over telephone.

What to do -

Relax

If you still have some time to spare - there are a couple of places you can visit - waterfalls, caves, and of course, lots of coral reefs to snorkel around. The beaches have white sand, but not as fine as Boracay / Potipot island

You are free to ask me any questions - either on this thread, private message, or by posting a comment on my blog, and I will try my best to answer you. I do not claim to know all the answers, but I will try. :)

…blogspot.com/2012/10/davao-stunning-beaches…

11 replies to this topic
alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samal island FAQ

First question Are you from Baguio?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samal island FAQ

nice photos, nice blog, but the photos do look like small rocky sand beach, albeit nice place where you stayed.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samal island FAQ

@ Left over too -

:) - ok, ok, I will post some nice photos of the better beaches. Once I get over my laziness.

@Edwinic -

I currently live in Baguio. But no, I am not originally from Baguio

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,292 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samal island FAQ

Thanks for sharing. What I love about Samal is its accessibility to Davao City. I also love its waterfalls :-)

Paranque
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samal island FAQ

Hi. Are you working at Hof Gorei?

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Samal island FAQ

no -why?

Manila, Philippines
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Samal island FAQ

me and my family are planning on vacation this coming may. can you post more pictures? is there any pool from this resort? and yes, the beach looks a bit rocky..??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samal island FAQ

i absolutely love the davao city/samal island/mt apo area..one of the best, if not the best place in the phils that i have been too. the combination of city, mountain and island in healthy portions is tough to beat. went to the kadayawan festival twice, once with the wife and second time, with the kids.. loved it both times. davao has an indigenous vibe i dont find in other phil cities. i think baguio has it also. i still have to check out zamboanga and other mindanao cities. thanks for the pics. yes, i would have to agree that samal's best feature is not the quality of the sand/beach but everything else makes up for it--

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Samal island FAQ

hofgorei-resortdavao.com/…

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samal island FAQ

@ Beach addict...

a) Here are the photos we had taken at Hof Gorei... do wait a few moments - there are lots of them - http://goo.gl/ghmGt

b) is there any pool from this resort?

Yes, but it is a small pool (more like childrens pool) - it is near the bar. A few kids were playing in it, but I don't think it will fit more than 4-5 kids!

c) The beach is a small stretch of about 5-10 meters, with slightly coarse white sand. Yes - after this short stretch of coarse white sand, there are rocks, and then a shallow shore with a lot of sea grass that extends nearly upto the jetty.

My impression was that Hof Gorei is more for people who like to relax near their cottage, or walk around the gardens (they have a lot of greenery, lots of wild birds - including 4 hornbills who keep flying around this place and a few turkeys and geese that walk around) or relax on the beach watching the sea. Not too much for people looking for activities. Lots for people looking to have a romantic time (the breakfast on the beach blew me away - it was like some kind of fantasy... and it did not cost a single extra peso to arrange!)

Oh - do remember - if you are taking Hof Gorei's pick up boat from Davao, be prepared to get a bit wet when the waves are big.

Reply to: Samal island FAQ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Samal Island
More Samal Island Topics