We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali first-timer - where to stay !?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Bali first-timer - where to stay !?

I am sure this kind of topic has been done to death, but looking for some guidance from all the Bali experts out there.

We are planning our first holiday to Bali and I am trying to decide where we should stay - area and accommodation.

We would be prepared to spend around $400 AUD a night and will be looking at staying between 8-10 nights. Time of year....still deciding but probably between June and October next year.

I had been focusing a lot on Villas, but I am not set on this option.

We would like beachfront (which is why I am no longer set on the idea of Villas), as hubby is a keen photographer and would like to be able to get some nice sunset shots during our stay (plus I just like being near the water).

Given we are first-timers we want to be fairly accessible to the more touristy parts of Bali, though not overly keen on being too much in the hustle and bustle, so I had been avoiding Kuta in my current search. Had always imagined staying in Seminyak, but it seems pretty expensive to get what I am looking for.

So am I asking too much wanting something beachfront with a nice beach, relatively private, accessible to the touristy areas for about $400 AUD a night? I am doing a lot of looking, but my head is spinning with some of the options and I would really like to hear from those who are in the know (or who can set me straight and lower my expectations).

Many thanks in advance!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali first-timer - where to stay !?

Arrghhh! I posted in the wrong forum - what a fool! I am going to re-post in the main Bali forum if anyone can assist me there.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali first-timer - where to stay !?

I couldn't find if you posted this elswhere but here are some ideas.

I agree the best place is Seminyak and some really nice beachfront hotels there are:

Niksoma

Ocean Outrigger

Samaya

These are not as large and family oriented as the Padma and Mandira which are also nice.

Seminyak has a lovely atmosphere and some of the best restaurants and bars in South Bali.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali first-timer - where to stay !?

After a bit of check for myself, I've found that those that I could think are more expensive than I thought they would be....so best wishes finding somewhere lovely. Oh, and I also wanted to say that I love your name princessbandicoot - it's a ripper.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali first-timer - where to stay !?

Linda52 - thanks very much for that info, as well as your confirmation of Seminyak as a good place to go. I've been looking at Niksoma over the past day or so and agree it looks like a good option. Will check out the other two

Soo-Darwin - thanks for that anyway. Would still be interested in the places you are thinking about...we've given ourselves a bit of time before we are going, so there is time to save for the right place! Thanks also for the comments on my name...it's a little strange, but I like it!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali first-timer - where to stay !?

Hello princessbandicoot, I was thinking of Karma in Jimbaran Bay - unfortunately it's way too pricey. One of the others I was thinking of is Sasoon Villas in Candidasa on the east coast - no sunsets, only sunrises - probably too far away from where you want to be - price will be right, but location wrong, darn.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali first-timer - where to stay !?

Cheers for that - Karma looks awesome. You're right a bit more expensive than what I was thinking...HOWEVER if I was planning on going this August I could get a 3 bedroom villa for under $400 AUD - 69& off normal published rates!

7. Re: Bali first-timer - where to stay !?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, January 03, 2010