We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

Which Lovina Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

Hi, need advise when traveling with kids age 10 and 1yrs. We will reach Bali airport at 7pm.

1. Is it advisable to travel straight to Lovina after we touch down?

2. Is the road safe to travel, and any pit-stop recommended for dinner or toilet-breaks?

3. How long is the journey?

4. Any recommended drivers out there and the rates, please.

Thank you very much!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

Personally I wouldn't. Depending on traffic you're looking at around a 4 hour drive. Do it in the daytime and turn it into a little tour so that you can see the lovely views and scenery along the way, stop off at Lake Bratan, Candikuning markets etc.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,910 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

I would suggest you book a hotel for the night in say Tuban or Sanur for the night. It is a long drive best enjoyed during the day so you can enjoy looking around along the way. Even IF your plane arrives on time you still have to collect luggage clear customs and get out of the busy south. It is just too far after a flight to go straight to Lovina. You won't find many drivers all that keen on driving to Lovina late at night.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

We have not plan our trip yet, traveling in end November for 6 days. Our first trip to Bali. We plan to stay in Lovina & Seminyak. What's there in Sanur or Tuban? And how about the drive from airport to Seminyak? If Lovina is too far of a drive, we might stay in Seminyak for 2 nights and then proceed to Lovina and then back to Kuta.

Canggu, Indonesia
Level Contributor
284 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

I think your travel to Seminyak first is a much better idea. Seminyak is only about 30 minutes from the airport, stay there for a few days, then travel to Lovina. I certainly wouldn't recommend travelling to Lovina after a flight arriving 7pm. By the time you get out of the airport it will be about 7.45pm then you won't get to Lovina until nearly midnight. It will be very difficult with children. You will need a holiday after that drive!

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

Izzyboys, you asked for details of a driver. Leo, (Putu Leong) is a very good and popular driver who lives in Lovina. You can contact him at putu_artanaya@hotmail.com

I also agree that travelling directly there at night is not wise, it is much to far and the road is very hilly and windy.

sydney
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

Izzyboys, my partner and I drove from Ngurah Rai Airport to Permuteran via Lovina only 4 days ago. We are currently in Amed :)

Our plane was delayed so instead of arriving at 1:30pm, we got in at 3:00pm. I would say that because of peak hour 4pm-6:30pm it took us ages to get out of Denpasar and up to Mengwi. By the time we hit Candikuning it was dark and roads are not signposted very well. I was navigating with google maps and a periplus street map. Also the other thing is whatever the estimated time to travel is on google maps is, double it! As the speed you will go will likely only be 40-60km/hr due to the narrow roads with traffic and other hazards.

I would not recommend a nightdrive with kids if you are not confident driving on a narrow road, where it is customary for motorbike riders to turn their engine and light off while going downhill. Also the mountain road twists and turns a lot.

My partner quickly learnt that when you drive in Bali you mostly position your car to overtake with your indicator on, so that you avoid motorbikes and pedestrians along the side of the road.

If I were you I would do what the others have suggested and stay the night in Seminyak/Sanur and then the next day you can drive or get a driver and then visit the following (on the way to Lovina):

1) Jatiluwih rice terraces

2) Candikuning market (spices, strawberries, all sorts of fruits)

3) Lake Bratan temple

4) Git Git waterfall

When you get to Lovina make sure you do the dolphin tour. Your kids will love it.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

I would not even include Lovina in a 6 day trip ...you are wasting too much time driving which a 1 yo will hate. If you must go then do not consider a night drive.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

Thanks for all the tips, It is most helpful. I think we'll do that. Cheers mates.

9. Re: From Airport to Lovina, night drive with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, October 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lovina Beach