We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dolphin again...

Which Lovina Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
dolphin again...

hi guys..

hoping to travel to bali next year january, i wonder january is a good season to watch dolphin in lovina?

will there be monsoon season in the month of january and the sea become rough?

thanks in advance!

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: dolphin again...

Ahh cool! You'll have an awesome time!

I went in August, no rain, but last year in middle September and usually rainy everyday for an hour or so and then clear skies. Just take some repellent for those mozzies! ;) Enjoy! Wish I could be there now!!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: dolphin again...

haha thanks for that im going 15th september !!!

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
39 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: dolphin again...

Don't go, the boats chase the dolphins. lovina is anything but disgusting, found a dead dog floating in the water which is full of trash, sewer and who knows what else. leave those dolphins alone. also forget turtle island, terrible also. can't believe people actually think bali is great. . I will never return.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: dolphin again...

oh dear. I was hoping to go dolphin watch and catch sunrise in mid-may actually... :(

Was the experience that bad? Could I check if you went with a tour group that you booked before your trip, or it was a tour that you signed up for only when you reached bali/ lovina?

For those who recommend Lovina, any more recent experience to share on what it's like? At the same time, any recommendation for accomodation in Lovina?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Peri

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
36 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: dolphin again...

Would like to thank you for the tip, I managed to make contact with KM. Layur for our trip to Bali this coming 24 Jan 13 & the price still the same IDR60k/pax. This will be our 2nd trip there so Dolphin Watching is my GF's main attraction this time around.

By the way, where's the jetty located? Forgot to ask him, dun wan to waste his sms charges.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: dolphin again...

Yes the boats attempt to chase the dolphins. I say attempt as a dolphin can swim 4x faster than any boat that was there. In my experience the dolphins were playing with the boats.

Here is how it goes.

The dolphins surface hundreds of metres from the boats. The amarda of boats charge after the dolphins. almost catching up to them. The dolphins dive. All the slower boats catch up and they all mill around in a confused bunch.

Dolphins are then sighted hundreds of metres away again. The amarda of boats charge off after them, almost almost getting near them and the dolphins dive again.

Repeat. Repeat, Repeat.

The crowds are happy they have seen some large pods of dolphins, some small pods of dolphins. and the boats are milling around.

Then a sneaky dolphin slyly pokes his eye above the water and calls out the position of all the boats around. His mates gang up in small groups around many of the amardas grouping of boats.

Then all of a sudden they burst out of the water literally within touching distance of many boats and jump around like mad things. All the people go wow. Any boat within any sort of distance from these lucky boats come charging in. As they almost get to these lucky boats....

The dolphins burst out laughing saying stooges and dive, never to be seen again for that day.

It is a fun morning. You will see dolphins reasonably closely. You may be lucky and be in a group the dolphins pick to put on a show for. If you are one of these groups you will be amazed. If not the sunrise makes it worth while anyway and it costs $6 - $7 per person so a cheap fun morning out and they pick you up from where you are staying if on the water or any beach close to you.

To the nay sayers. A dolphin is as smart as you, 4x faster than any boat there. If they don't want to be hassled they wont be.

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
39 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: dolphin again...

I went to the dolphin boat ride..it was terrible, they chase the dolphins. In Hawaii this would be outlawed. How would you like to be chased by many boats, it's a total unhumane thing. Please don't go. .it was horrifying.also the turtle island was disgusting too. Poor animals..

18. Re: dolphin again...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 20, 2014