We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best surfing options while based in senggigi

byron bay
7 posts
Save Topic
best surfing options while based in senggigi

hi there, coming to lombok 25th October for 2 weeks with my wife, wanting to do some surfing and relaxing, thinking of qunci for some of the time

the reviews on TA sure sound great!

and/or jeeva klui, looks nice also, quieter and a bit more remote

with perhaps a few nights in Gili somewhere in between

so, how to get good waves being based in senggigi?

anyone know what the waves are like straight out the front of Qunci or Jeeva Klui?

realize its not the best spot to be based for waves, but gotta keep the wife happy, after all as we know a happy wife = a happy life :)

so id be looking for early morning off on the bike to surf

how long does it take to get to Kuta by bike?

imagine id get a cab the first time, then ride a bike an follow the same route...

or a surf guide the first day?

senggigi to grupuk? how long does this take?

Also whats the best way to get from senggigi to gili T? and back?

thanks for the advice, great forum!

Skimbo

any ideas would be appreciated..

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

I haven't surfed sengiggi but there is a wave off the main point.

kuta area has a number of options a bike and board rakes essential. the breaks on the south coast are spread out. At a guess 2 hours riding to get there.

desert point is an option by car. long drive and timing needs to be correct.

gilis have waves you could get there by car then boat or boat from sengiggi. waves are so so at gili t as is flat straight reef. gili air gets crowded when it works.

all your options aren't too good except surf sengiggi as you are there to make your wife happy and if you go to the other places alone she will be alone and so the purpose is defeated.

A car together to kuta would be your best option surfing around Kuta and to the west as there are nice beaches to sit on while you wave it.. most options to the east involve a boat. sitting in boat while you surf is stretching friendship.

byron bay
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

ha well put

thanks for that...

might just have to o less surfing this trip, all good

thanks mate!

Level Contributor
393 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

Hi Skimbo

We have stayed at Senggigi Beach Hotel a few times and the point was working during two of our stays . If you were staying in Lombok for a while I would recommend spending a few days in Kuta as it gives you easy access to the waves in the south. Kuta in Lombok is very scenic and your lovely wife could possibly enjoy some R and R down there. When hubby surfed Gerupuk my daughter and I enjoyed sitting in the boat watching, reading and relaxing. Perhaps if you stay in Kuta your wife might catch some beginner waves at one of the beaches nearby.

byron bay
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

hi sonjii thanks for that, all good to know

going to spend a few nights down south

http://www.sempiakvillas.com/imagegallery.php

hows that for a view...

will be a nice surprise for the wife as we get in late...

waking up to that the next morning without knowing where you are will be quite something i think!

seems to be a few waves around there too, although the place looks pretty isolated.

so a few days there anyway then off to senggigi,

for a few days here

http://www.quncivillas.com/

also looks amazing!

The trip itinerary is starting to take shape :)

Next challenge, to try time it all with some swell!

Anyone done much surfing in Lombok this time of year?

*really* looking forward to it!

Havent had a break in a while...

Level Contributor
393 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

Sempiak Villas looks amazing. We had a swim at Selong Belanak in July and it was beautiful. When I mentioned your wife having a surf, that is where I thought she could have a go . The waves were perfect for beginners when we were there and there was a lesson finishing when we arrived. I'm sure your wife will love Sempiak Villas - look forward to reading your feedback. Sorry we have only been in Lombok in June/ July so I can't comment on the swell at this time of the year. A couple we met were returning in August because of the possibility of improved conditions. I'm sure you will both have a wonderful holiday and I hope you get some great waves.

byron bay
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

thanks Sonjii

will be sure to report back

havent left any reviews on TA before, maybe this place will change all that!

Sure hope so

anyway else with some surfing tips around Senggigi or Selong Belanak

think theres some good waves around, Mawi Beach?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

Jones your choice of staying @ Qunci villas is a good choice if you're after surf. There is a nice break just in front of the resort along 'Mangsit beach'.

This is where we usually go for a swim & surf, it might just have one of the better surfing spots in Senggigi.

As for Mawun beach there is a decent break on the far right hand side of the bay area, although you may need footwear as it is shallow with alot of coral.

Here is a previous trip report on the area:

…blogspot.com.au/2013/07/jbr-mawu-beach-selo…

Hope this helps.

byron bay
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

thanks!

Now just waiting for Qunci Villas to get back to my email now..

Been over 24 hours, perhaps i will call them...

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

From Selong Belanak there is what some refer to as a "secret spot" to the west called Serangan. Going East it isn't too far by bike to Mawi. Sempiak Vllas are lovely. I have not stayed there but have friends who have and have checked out the villas. Their cafe, Laut Biru is also very good. Say hi to head chef Ida from Gemma - she worked for me many years ago!

10. Re: best surfing options while based in senggigi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 04, 2014