We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
506 reviews
Save Topic
Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

I tried to submit a review for this, but for some reason TA would not allow it.

I wanted to comment on this company (Me're Travel and Tours) as we had a great experience with them going to Taal volcano.

We really wanted to hike Mt. Pinatubo, but given the weather conditions on July 31st, 2012, we had to settle for Taal.

Not knowing what tour group to go with, we went with this hotel recommendation. Since the hotel had a good reputation, and since it was actually one of the cheaper Taal tour options (4,050 Peso/person from Manila), we went for it.

Since no one else signed up for that day, we ended up having a private tour. Amazing! The two gentlemen that were our guides were so kind and accommodating. They were among the best guides we ever had.

And the unexpected extras made it extra special. Since Taal is part of the pineapple belt, we pulled up to a road-side stand and ate the best fresh pineapple I've ever had. After the tour on the way home, we happened upon a small town, organized cockfight. The guides had no problem pulling over to let me watch - something I could not due in Manila due to the arena flooding. Finally, since the tour was on the day of our flight departure, the company agreed to drop us off directly at the airport. This saved us a lot of time and travel.

Excellent experience! They can be reached at 'meretravel@yahoo.com.ph'

21 replies to this topic
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

Mmmm.....you reminded me of the perhaps-sweetest-pineapples-my-palate-has-ever-had-an-opportunity-to-make-the-aquaintace-of (vendors at entrance gate to Palace in the sky). Now mouth is watering.

Good to know you had such a good time.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,967 posts
2,060 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

From the information that you have given, the tour operator may only qualify on TA to be listed as a 'resource' - no user reviews are allowed by TA:

www.tripadvisor.com.au/pages/getlisted.html

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

4,050 Peso/person even with only two person?

If that includes riding up to the view point, that will indeed be a good deal.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

.....we hiked up to the top with a guide. But yes, if you want to go horseback riding up, that costs extra.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,967 posts
2,060 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

Like you product, I found the Taal Volcano horses unnecessary. That didn't stop their handlers following me for about a kilometre in the vain hope that I would succumb and rent the horse for 1500 pesos.

I started too late though (1130). Far better to start at 0700 or 0800 if you can organise yourself by that time.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

What? The horses cost P1500?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
1,675 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

i was charged the following: Entrance fee 50 Php pp/+ /Horse Hire 450Php/ Guide Fee 100php pp. The guides also ask for a tip.

So 1500Php was very expensive.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

Hi,

Here are the "official Taal rates"

Just retrieved it from a photo I had taken this year - it is a big notice painted right at the entrance to the volcano trek (just before the horse stables). -

Tourist fee = 50 peso

Boat ride = 1600 peso

Horse back ride = 450 pesos

Tour guide fee = 500 peso

(We were charged differently for horse + tour guide)

Here is the signage - parts of the rates are scratched out so your guess is as good as mine - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QPc38xM2LMg/T5eGUBUSO6I/AAAAAAAABWA/9q65tZ2X3DE/s1600/Taal+volcano+trek+%284%29.JPG

as per municipal ordinance 13-2006

Unsurprisingly, the real rates charged were different.

A note about costs -

I got the brown expat rate - I am quiet sure my Filipino brethren would be charged lesser, and my white brethren would get a higher rate. That is a privilege of being a foreigner and I have no qualms about that. When unavoidable, I prefer getting ripped off by locals who make me feel special, rather than by MNCs who do not. (he he)

I simply cannot find an official copy of this ordinance!

Taal trek information - …blogspot.com/2012_04_01_archive.html

Also found this page by Taal yacht club most useful for Taal treks....

http://www.sailing.org.ph/tlyc/volctrip.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

.....another business trick our guide told us about: The trail up Taal used to be a tree-covered path sheltered from the sun. But the 'entrepreneurs' chopped the canopy off so that tourists were more likely to purchase hats, drinks, and use a horse. [Not to mention more likely to get heat exhaustion and sun stroke.]

Manila
Level Contributor
642 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano

"The trail up Taal used to be a tree-covered path sheltered from the sun. But the 'entrepreneurs' chopped the canopy off..."

I don't think it is entirely true. Some filipino DO make up such stories just to have a conversation or make them-self a knowledgeable person... show off.

There is a trail with more shades but it is a at the back of the island if your coming from Tagaytay. Ambassador kenney use that trail when she visit the crater... it is then called the ambassador kenney trail.

4050... was lunch included? if yes, then it is reasonable.

The worst rate i heard was a hotel driver charging 4 Japanese guest of 20,000pesos... inclusion of boat ride, horse ride and lunch at the resort which is a big fried tilapia and a cup of rice... and yes, the car transfer is not included!!!

Reply to: Using "Me're Travel & Tours" to get to Taal Volcano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taal