We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Kolkata: own car or taxi?

india
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Kolkata: own car or taxi?

We will be visiting Mandarmoni towards the end of the month. Is it advisable to drive my own car (alto 800)? I have heard that the last few kilometres of the road are quite bad and cars frequently break down or get stuck (on the road as well as on the beach). Additionally, what is the usual timing for high tide when the beach is not motorable (we plan to reach the hotel around 11:30AM)?

Also, we are planning to stay at Victoria Beach Resort (located between Rose Valley and Sana) - any body who has stayed there and can advise on whether it's a good hotel (tripadvisor reviews seem to be all good)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/advice.

2 replies to this topic
Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
928 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Kolkata: own car or taxi?

Hi sgp7819

I had driven my car from kolkata to mandarmoni in June 2013. The drive was too good. Only the last 8 km was little rough. The road is narrow and there are lot of bumps but that should not deter you to have the drive. If you are confused(like i was) consult google maps.

There is a steep slop at mandarmoni which lets cars to drive onto the beach, as mine was new and the slope was not proper (made with stones) i choose not to drive on the beach. There are ample parking space at the top. There were people who had tried to do the same and their car floor had bore the brunt. I would suggest leave the beach; don't drive on it and spoil it.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,888 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Kolkata: own car or taxi?

sgp7819

Avoid tension..don't drive to Mandarmoni by own car, specially those with less ground clearance. You have to drive over the beach, there is no metal road. Characteristic of the beach depends on high/low tide, many of the vehicles got stuck on this beach due to miscalculation of tide timings.

You can ask your hotel to provide pick-up / drop-off service from Chaulkhola (nearest bus stop of Kolkata-Digha routa).

The hotel is located at the far end of beach.

Edited: 1:51 am, December 19, 2013
Reply to: Driving from Kolkata: own car or taxi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mandarmoni