We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visit Tips Inquiry

Rutherford, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visit Tips Inquiry

Hi,

Would appreciate anyone being able to share some tips related to customs and settling in the first day.

We got an exchange for our Aruba timeshare for Antigua and are leaving for Antigua Jan 15 and staying at St. James Club. Obviously we've been very comfortable in Aruba so a few tips would be appreciated.

1) where is the nearest food store? I assume as in Aruba we'd need to take a taxi? How is their supply of milk. We always found in Aruba that if you didn't get milk that day you had to wait for the next shipment which was about two days later.

2) In one of the posts someone mentioned you don't have to get up early to reserve a chair? Is that really true. Safe to leave things at your chairs and take a walk?

3) A couple of days my daughter and her dad will be diving. I will be left behind with daugher's girlfriend (20 yrs old) whom we've known since she was a kid. Aside from perhaps drinking at the beach, what would be a fun thing to do to while a way about 2 1/2 hours.

4) Can you pack small cereal boxes in suitcase? Bring condiments in containers?

Thank you.

Looking forward to leaving the snow behind for a bit.

CD

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visit Tips Inquiry

The nearest food stores are 1) in English Harbour (Bailey's) or 2) the one on the dock in Falmouth, the name of which escapes me at the moment. And yes, as you suspected you will need a taxi but either is only 5-plus minutes. Though these are small grocers, they have most things you will need.

For extremely comprehensive grocery shopping in a huge, American-style market, Epicurean on Friar's Hill Road in St. Johns is the place to go, but this is about half an hour from St. James.

I've never had any problem getting fresh milk here. There of course is sterilized milk everywhere also----you could perhaps pick up a quart to keep on the shelf just-in-case.

Food-wise you may bring into the country whatever you wish as long as it not fresh fruits and veggies or fresh meat. Breads, cereals etc are all fine.

With the girlfriend, because everything other than English Harbour and Falmouth is probably a half-hour taxi-ride away, there isn't too much in that short 2 1/2 hour period. But you could indeed go explore English Harbour, ogle the yachts in Falmouth, go up to Shirley Heights, walk the national park trails in the area, or perhaps just go over to Pigeon Beach for a change of pace---there are picnic tables there, so you could have a swim and perhaps have a wine & cheese picnic.

You might ask where they are going diving. Some good dive areas are very suitable for snorkeling, so you could go with them.

Not sure about the lounger situation---I hope someone else can help you there. Have a great trip!

England
Level Contributor
786 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visit Tips Inquiry

Further to the previous post, the grocery store at Falmouth is called Dockside Liquors, and you can get pretty much everything there. It is a 5-10 minute taxi drive away.

Regarding beach loungers, we go in January every year, and there are always plenty of loungers around. All beaches are public in Antigua, so you should obviously take care with leaving valuables with your lounger, but there would be no problem with ordinary belongings like books, suncream etc. The only people who tend to be on the beaches there are people staying at the resort and people who have moored their boats in the bay and use the facilities of the resort.

Re the young lady, if she likes watersports, they are all free - kayaking, pedaloes, sailing boats etc., plus there's tennis, table tennis, beach volleyball etc. She'll probably just want to chill out by the pool!

England
Level Contributor
786 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visit Tips Inquiry

Hi again

Forgot to say that, unless it has gone since last year, there is a small deli on the resort, in the timeshare village. It keeps basic supplies - cereals, bread, dry goods, milk, drinks etc. Expensive, but fine if you run out of something.

Rutherford, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visit Tips Inquiry

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.

Rutherford, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visit Tips Inquiry

Great. Thank you. Found out the girlfriend is not coming after all but at least I have some options myself.

HDH
Saundersfoot...
Level Contributor
511 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visit Tips Inquiry

Justto add , you are truly safe in leaving your stuff on your sunlounger . The beaches are public however, I think you'd have to be a mountain goat to access the beach and Mamora Bay other than through security on the gate.

Loads and loads of sunloungers .....never ever had a problem getting one . Its a gorgeous place with a fantatic relaxing laid back atmosphere - we love it hence going back this year for 8th time

Reagrds Helen

7. Re: First Time Visit Tips Inquiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, October 16, 2012