We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

Hi,

I have already visit Sihanoekville and the national park there. In september i go back, i have 5 days where i can spend OR Sihanoekville (maybe the islands) OR some places in Ratanakiri/Mondolkiri, who can give me some advise. Don't forget it is rainy season (do not know if sihanoekville an option then to get some sun). Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

You'll get rain & sand in the South or rain and mud in the Northeast. Take your pick. (I'd go for rain & mud, myself...)

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

Thanks for the info, i'am travelling with my son (18y), i have 5 days after siem riep before i must be back in PP. Is the region around banlung in that period possible and is it an interesting location to went to? i don't have a lot of experience in the rainy season (i was already 3 times in cambodia the last years, but always in december and april). If i go to the banlung area, it is more to see some local villages (i know i can see that everywere), if i go to sihanoek it is more to have some free days to take some sun (between the rain) if it is possible. what do you think? or another option? thanks rik

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

Ask your son what he likes. If you're into roughing it and exploring, I'd pick the Northeast. If you want to sit on the beach &/or swim and eat great seafood, the South is nice!

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

Thanks for your message, do you have experience with the north-east, where i could get more information about this part, or just go and see?

Las Animas, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

Hi Rik - take a look at travelfish.org for more info on Ratinakiri province/Ban Lung, as well as Mondulkiri province. We stayed in Ban Lung for four nights, but is was during the dry season (January). There is a national park there, for which you can arrange multi-day treks, but not sure if that's possible during the wet season. Waterfalls in the area are beautiful, as is Yaklom Lake. We arranged for a guide through our guesthouse - took a boat up the river to stop at minority villages. Hope that helps.

Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

The lonely planet forum indicated there was a new road - just opened.

If that is correct getting to Ratanakiri would be easier and a great experience. Still some adventure but not so much time wasted on a dusty hot bus.

But I don't know how to find out about the road for sure.

If there is a new paved road please let me know.

thanks

Las Animas, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

Hi Kmjmmm - the road is paved from Ban Lung going east to the Viet Nam border crossing. When we were there in January the road from Ban Lung to the national highway was very much under construction, but not finished. We were told they expected it to be completed sometime in 2012. The bus ride from Ban Lung to Kratie was dusty - but oh so worthwhile!

Edited: 11:06 pm, September 01, 2011
Nan Province...
Level Contributor
530 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

Route 78 to Ban Lung and to the Vietnamese border is all sealed surface and in good condition.

The road between Sen Monorom (Mondulkiri) and Ban Lung (Ratanakiri) is still for a part (about 50km) a jungle track and not a good idea of travelling in the raining season.

The roads from Ban Lung to the north (national park and river) are not sealed, but in good condition at the moment. But the raining season could change that in a few days.

The road between Kratie and Stung Treng is sealed surface but partly in bad condition.

Sen Monorom is above sea-level of about 700m, while Ban Lung is at about 300m.

I used Kim Siang mini-bus from PP to SM and that was good, safe and comfortable. No cargo in the mini-bus, no picking up of people.

Chang Noi

9. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, September 12, 2014

Level Contributor
16 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir

What is the best way to get to Ban Lung? We will be in Siem Reap, or could approach from Phnom Phen.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Reply to: 3 days visit islands around Sihanouk OR Ratanakiri/Mondolkir
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banlung
More Banlung Topics