We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

schinoussa

Stoke-on-Trent...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
schinoussa

is the island worth a visit

8 replies to this topic
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: schinoussa

Depends on your personality. We spent 3 days in July at a remote hotel near Lioliou beach and loved the solitude, several empty beaches and coves, perfect food and lovely Chorio.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: schinoussa

it depends on what you are looking for. If you like solitude like Marjan, then it's worth a visit. The island doesn't have a lot of tourists, and I don't rate the beaches - there are lots of small ones, but they're a bit rough. It may be a good island if you like walking.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: schinoussa

Schinousa and the other 3 small Cyclades are all worth a visit. Of course there's nothing much there. A small Chora even smaller port and a few beaches. You can walk the south half in a leisurely day and the other half the next day. The best beach is Psili Ammos near the few houses at Messaria.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: schinoussa

Not sure what it's like now but there was a lot of building work going on when we were there 2 years ago and after reading the description in my Greek island hopping 'bible' I was a bit disappointed. Really liked Chora but 2 days was long enough for us. I much preferred Iraklia.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: schinoussa

it is a great island. If you are looking for great sea, views and food....stop there.

I suggest you try Deli restaurant. One of the best in the Greek islands (I`ve been traveling in Greece for the last 34 yeas). People are extremely nice. Many locals rent rooms. I suggest Ilio Vasilema hotel. Cheap and very clean with a superb sunset view. Not many turists around. Not overbuilt. Have a look at Messaria, little village in the north side of the island...i little gem...with a little restaurant, worth trying.

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: schinoussa

Yes Schinoussa is definitely worth visiting. We have just spent 5 days here and it is a lovely island. Very peaceful, great for walking, lovely food and lovely people. We have stayed at Liou Lou beach which is heavenly if you like all of the above. Will do a trip report when we get home but we have really enjoyed Schinoussa.

Off to Koufonissi tomorrow :-)

Edgware, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: schinoussa

I spent a week there recently and did not regret it, even though it is not the best island for people with reduced mobility. I found the islanders to be amazing. They are open-hearted, welcoming, generous and caring. All you got to do is ask and they will provide! For example, my landlord drove us to Livadi beach as the car can actually park on the sand. However, even a few steps on soft sand can be murder for one's knees despite using walking sticks. So after a refreshing swim, I had no energy to go shopping at the mini market.

My landlord told me not to worry. He drove us into town, called the girl from the shop and told her to take my order. Lol. She collected the shopping, rang it up on the till and brought it to the car. If this is not service, I don't know what is!

Later that day our landlord popped by to see what plans we had made for dinner. I had no energy to go into town despite him offering to drive us the 100 m and back. Not to worry, he said. He got on the phone with the owner of the 8 Brothers restaurant (8 Adelphia) and soon we were feasting on our beautiful veranda with gorgeous views of the sea on the most delicious dinner imaginable.

Apart from the above, Schinoussa is an island of culture as it is the summer home of the Little Polytecnic, a further education institution based in Athens. They do film showings, music nights, plays etc. You might miss the events, if you don't know about it, but ask at Hara cafe or ask a local to put you in touch with Thrassos, the director.

Schinoussa has a rugged beauty, amazing people, lovely beaches with turquoise waters and is a walker's paradise. The people who choose it for a holiday are rather bohemian (as in easy going) who love nature as it comes. They are not after luxury or noise but simplicity and relaxation.

I cannot forget the absolute silence day and night and the unhurried pace of life.

Edgware, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: schinoussa

I spent a week there recently and did not regret it, even though it is not the best island for people with reduced mobility. I found the islanders to be amazing. They are open-hearted, welcoming, generous and caring. All you got to do is ask and they will provide! For example, my landlord drove us to Livadi beach as the car can actually park on the sand. However, even a few steps on soft sand can be murder for one's knees despite using walking sticks. So after a refreshing swim, I had no energy to go shopping at the mini market.

My landlord told me not to worry. He drove us into town, called the girl from the shop and told her to take my order. Lol. She collected the shopping, rang it up on the till and brought it to the car. If this is not service, I don't know what is!

Later that day our landlord popped by to see what plans we had made for dinner. I had no energy to go into town despite him offering to drive us the 100 m and back. Not to worry, he said. He got on the phone with the owner of the 8 Brothers restaurant (8 Adelphia) and soon we were feasting on our beautiful veranda with gorgeous views of the sea on the most delicious dinner imaginable.

Apart from the above, Schinoussa is an island of culture as it is the summer home of the Little Polytecnic, a further education institution based in Athens. They do film showings, music nights, plays etc. You might miss the events, if you don't know about it, but ask at Hara cafe or ask a local to put you in touch with Thrassos, the director.

Schinoussa has a rugged beauty, amazing people, lovely beaches with turquoise waters and is a walker's paradise. The people who choose it for a holiday are rather bohemian (as in easy going) who love nature as it comes. They are not after luxury or noise but simplicity and relaxation.

I cannot forget the absolute silence day and night and the unhurried pace of life.

Edited: 9:34 am, August 03, 2014
Reply to: schinoussa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Schinoussa