We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair to Rome or Milan

Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Ryanair to Rome or Milan

I'll be arriving from USA at 0700 to STN and want to catch a connection to Rome or Milan on Ryanair. How much time do I need to set aside for my conncting flight? How reliable is ryanair as to being on time ? frequent flight cancellations? Better to connect via Rome or Milan? or should I transfer to Heathrow or City airport and use BA or Alitalia? Thanks-Bo.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair to Rome or Milan

There are 4 Ryanair flights every day to Rome. You should manage to get the 12:40 as you need to be at the check in 2 hours before take off and earlier flights are at 8:40. It is possible to check in up to 30 minutes before take off, but if your flight in is late and you take a long time getting through baggage claim and customs, you won't make it. The Milan flights are both before 8:40, so for the reasons above these are not options.

There have been £5.99 flights to Rome earlier this week, but that offer finished yesterday.

I have only had one delay on Ryanair from Stansted and believe they are reliable.

Transferring to Heathrow will mean a 2 hour coach ride, or 3 trains which won't be much quicker. London City is one coach and one train taking just over an hour.

I'd stay at Stansted and spend the time adjusting to the new time zone and just chilling/eating or even have a shower to pass the time.

Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair to Rome or Milan

Mr. Cellophane,

Since I'm in the process of looking at flights-there is one to Genoa at 9:40 am- do you think this one would be duable? I can reverse my itinerary? Thank you for your recommendations.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair to Rome or Milan

Probably depends on how reliable your inbound flight is.

2 hours 40 min is OK if you flight is not delayed. 30 minutes on an 8 hour (?) flight is likely and then you would be stuck. No transfers with Ryanair, you would have to buy a new ticket at the "on the day" price which is usually around £150.

I would take the 5 hours hanging around and have no worries. Stansted is not exciting place to wait. You will have to come land side and you can get a bus to Stansted Mountfitchet for the Norman Castle to pass a couple of hours or catch some sun on the grass bank by the bus station (this is usually crowded on sunny days)

4. Re: Ryanair to Rome or Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 13, 2009