We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

Hi, we need to take the Estrella bus from Puebla to the Mexico City Airport on Monday, Nov. 19.

1. Which bus station in Puebla should we use?

2. Our flight out of Mexico City leaves at 5 PM. What time should we leave Puebla?

3. Has anyone taken this bus? Is it as nice as it seems online, with rest rooms, wifi, snacks available?

I ask because I've been told not to rely on websites (for example the Estrella one) in planning this trip.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

1. Really doesn't matter much - whichever is nearest.

2. Personally I would leave at 12 from CAPU (or even 11) because I always like to leave plenty of time. You are supposed to arrive 3 hours before departure and the journey is timed at 2 hours although that is quite a conservative estimate (it should be quicker). Mexico City airport is a nice place to spend time anyway.

3. I haven't taken it but I am sure it has bathrooms, snack, etc. as does every Mexican first-class bus.

Estrella Roja has run those schedules for years so I don't see any reason to disbelieve their schedules. Why not wait until you get Puebla and then book your ticket directly? Your hotel can do it for you over the phone.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

Thank you! Very helpful. We will get the ticket there. I can't figure out how to get it online anyway. :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
329 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

We have made this connection a couple of times in the past two years. We used the 4Poniente bus station for Estrella Roja. It's a small station a bit closer in. The buses leave every half hour. Very comfortable, and they provide a sack lunch with bottled water. For our 5:00 pm flights out of DF we left at 12:00. Restrooms and wifi as well.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

The trip by bus is about two hours. You can either book a bus from your hotel or the visitors center on the zocalo. Any first class bus will be clean, with comfortable seats, movies, and a nice bathroom. They don't usually have wifi on the bus. Mexico has one of the best bus systems anywhere and buses between Puebla and Mexico City are very frequent.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

Thank you! I appreciate the reassurance. Never took a bus in Mexico before and am a bit nervous about it and getting to my flight on time. :)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
515 posts
604 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

The buses that run to the airport are the expensive ones and do cost more than the regular first class buses. The buses are as nice as you can imagine buses to be. Two hours is about right but considering traffic, especially once you are in Mexico City make sure you give yourself plenty of time. I would certainly leave no later than noon. We have taken buses all over Mexico and they are very good. In addition, thinking you are going to be in Puebla for some time before leaving there do consider buying the bus ticket ahead of time. I cannot remember where you can buy tickets ahead of time in Puebla but if all fails just go to the station a day before you want to leave. And if all goes really well and you get to the airport way ahead of time just have lunch or take a book with you. The airport has plenty of chairs to relax and places to grab a bite to eat. And enjoy Puebla which is our favorite city in Mexico.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

Thank you, I appreciate the info! We get to Puebla Friday night and will leave the following Monday. I'm hoping the hotel can help us get tickets or if not, the visitor's center as someone else mentioned. Or I suppose we can just go to the bus station on Saturday.

Really looking forward to it!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

These buses aren't like true Mexican buses, they are very safe all passengers go thru security, your bags will be x rayed. They have undercarriage storage and you must have your ticket to get your bag when you reach the bus station. The will have drinks, snacks of some kind, headphones and they will normally play a movie. The buses are very clean and staff is very nice, however they don't normally speak English. It does take about 2 hrs to get from Puebla to Mexico City but with the traffic in both Puebla and Mexico City best to leave early.

9. Re: Bus from Puebla to Mexico City Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 02, 2013