We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
107 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

My husband and I will be in Guanajuato for a wedding in June. We were planning on flying to BJX on Thursday morning and just staying in Guanajuato for the wedding festivities(Fri-Sun). We were wondering it instead it made sense to take an extra vacation day and instead spend wednesday night and most of the day on Thursday in San Miguel de Allende. I've heard both are beautiful towns, but I'm having trouble determining if the touristy activities are different enough to warrant taking an additional day off work and changing our plans. Would appreciate all your expertise/opinions.

Thank you!

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

Yes yes yes! I am one of the few that likes SMA more than Guanajuato. Ok there are a lot of other gringos and the prices may be slightly more than in Guanajuato but the town is so beautiful.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

I always recommend my visitors take a side trip to Guanajuato. So it would work in reverse too. They are only an hour apart and you can book the BajioGo shuttle direct from BJX. There are frequent buses between San Miguel and Guanajuato.

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

SMA is worth the trip and you are so close, it would be a shame to miss it. I have only been twice for a shorti visit. It is a beautiful town. We especially enjoyed visiting the art center and having lunch at the café. it was a pleasure.

new york
Level Contributor
107 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

Is it too far away to do a day trip? I'm just wondering if we do decide to go there should we plan to stay overnight? It seems that the hotels are much more expensive in SMA. Thank you all for the advice!!!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

Got to disagree with other posters. Your visit is too short IMO to go to SM. I'd go to the leather market in Leon instead but a 30 minute bus trip away. Lovely leather items including shoes, boots, purses, belts, coats etc at unbelievable low prices. It's right across the street from the bus station stretching for blocks & blocks.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

There are hotels in all price ranges in San Miguel, just as there are in Guanajuato. But yes, you can do a day trip: it's about an hour by bus (as I said in my previous post)

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

I think its a beautiful drive, I would do it. You get to see the countryside and see a bit of another small city. But if I were you i would wait and see what happens, time has a manner of distending itself here in Mexico. There are buses all the time, don´t worry it too much. Have a great trip!

8. Re: Guanajuato- is it worth side trip to San Miguel de Allende??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, March 27, 2014