We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for itinerary in October?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Hampden...
Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for itinerary in October?

Buenos tardes!

I would like suggested itineraries to Guanajuato/Queretero in October for 8 days and 9 nights for my wife and me. We are veteran Mexico travelers (intermediate Spanish skills) and plan to travel between towns by bus. I have no problem arriving in one airport and leaving from another.

Some things we would like to see:

Guanajuato city

Dolores Hidalgo

San Miguel de Allende

Mineral de Pozos

Queretaro

Bernal

¡Muchas gracias!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for itinerary in October?

I'll be visiting most of those places shortly myself. But right now I can't offer any on-the-ground experience, just what little I know from research.

For my trip I'll focus on Guanajuato town (up to half the trip), with Queretaro and Bernal as second and third priorities. The rest will probably be day trips at most. (Since I prefer speaking Spanish in Mexico, no San Miguel for me.)

Have you seen the Moon guidebook to the region? It covers all those places on your list, and like the other titles in my rapidly growing stack from that publisher, I'm finding it quite helpful.

amazon.com/Miguel-Allende-Guanajuato-Bajio-H…

Hampden...
Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for itinerary in October?

Thanks. I agree with you about the speaking Spanish part.

After posting my question, I ran across some forum posts saying that Queretaro is growing too fast.

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for itinerary in October?

Yes, but the historical center where tourists stay remains the same with its beautiful plazas, pedestrian streets, great restaurants... The suburbs are growing fast.

I have visited all but Mineral de posos. My suggestion for you would be to spend four days in Queretaro, from there you can do day trips to Bernal, Tequisquiapan, San Miguel, all by bus. Dolores Hidalgo, unless you wish to buy talavera, is not worth a trip, it can be done in an hour from SMA. The rest of your time you can visit Guanajuato, a beautiful and interesting town for a day or two and Mineral which I dont know.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for itinerary in October?

I personally find Delores Hidalgo an enchanting destination.

It's main plaza is among the nicest in Mexico. Being the cradle of the Mexican Revolution as a history buff adds greatly to the attraction to me.

The hustle & bustle on the streets give me a good feel.

With easy access from either SM or GTO I strongly recommend a day there.

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for itinerary in October?

Hi,

The International Cervantes Festival is October 9-27 this year. It is a huge festival of the arts mainly held in Guanajuato, but there are also events in San Miguel de Allende and Leon.

The festival draws a lot of visitors and the hotels fill up quickly...even a year in advance, so you may want to make your hotel reservations soon.

The event schedule is generally posted sometime in June. Here is the festival web site:

http://www.festivalcervantino.gob.mx/

Dolores HIdalgo is an interesting place to visit as it is where the fight for independence from Spain began...though much of the planning took place in Queretaro.

In Dolores, you can visit the home of Padre Hidalgo, the priest that was one of the leaders of the revolution. You can also visit the parish church where Padre Hidalgo gave his famous speech, El Grito, to incite the rebels as well as the independence museum, formerly the jail, where the Spanish officials were incarcerated by the rebels.

If you like ice cream, you can try a number of exotic flavors as well as traditional flavors from the vendors in the main plaza.

San Miguel de Allende also has interesting museums, churches, markets and shopping. Definitely a place you should visit.

Have a great trip!

Cindi

6. Re: suggestions for itinerary in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 19, 2014