We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yucatan itinerary help

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
BERKELEY
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Yucatan itinerary help

I will have 3 days plus the day I arrive to tour the Yucatan. If I fly to Cancun, the flight arrives at 3 pm. I do not care about laying around on the beach so I thought I would make it a road trip. I would like recommendations for the following:

• Rent a car or take a bus (How are the roads? I am a woman and will be traveling on my own)

• Itinerary (Definitely want to visit Chichen Itza, maybe swim with the dolphins)

Any suggestions welcomed.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yucatan itinerary help

Rent a car, unless you like waiting on buses during your limited stay...drive to Valladolid or piste to be closer to Chicken Pizza when it opens at 8 am instead of a bus from Cancun which arrives around 10am..swim in a cenote not with dolphins..do a triangle route from Valladolid southeast to Coba, Tulum then back north to Cancun.....easy

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yucatan itinerary help

Can only add that driving is safe and easy. Roads are good. I've done it many times. Not to CI but many other areas in the RM. There are only a few roads you'll use so not to worry about getting lost, really.

Alternately, the bus system is very good.

Personally, I'd drive and make my own stops, etc. Rent a car with a trunk for hauling luggage, gear, purchases.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,819 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yucatan itinerary help

As said, the buses are excellent but to make best use of the limited time, I would rent a car. The good thing is that once you leave the airport, no need to go into Cancun with all the traffic but you could head for Valladolid. A good base for exploring the area.

BERKELEY
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yucatan itinerary help

I was thinking about driving from the Cancun airport to Tulum .The next day, drive to Coba after seeing the ruins at Tulum and then on to Chichen Itza and stay at the The Lodge at Chichen Itza in order to see the ruins at night and early in the morning. After seeing Chichen Itza, I need to end up near the airport at the end of the day. Thinking that I might drive in the afternoon to Puerto Morelos and maybe snorkel or doing something else that is active.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yucatan itinerary help

I would do your trip in reverse, for a couple of reasons. First, driving in Mexico takes a little getting used to. By driving from the airport to Tulum, you will be going through the gauntlet, where police are happily awaiting a gringo to make a mistake. By driving directly to Chichen, you have the opportunity to acclimatize to Mexican driving on a road with few police and few other drivers -- the Cuota or toll road.

Also, because you arrive at 3 p.m., you probably won't get your rental car until 4:30 or 5 p.m. You don't say what time of the year you will be traveling, but right now the days are very short which means you will be traveling in the dusk and then dark. I find that time of day very, very hard to see, and combined with the fact you will be tired after your flight, missing a speed limit sign or other traffic warning is almost a certainty.

Most people will advise you not to drive at night. I personally prefer to drive at night, but that's because I'm familiar with the roads and Mexican driving. If you are traveling the next two months, the sun will set between 5 p.m. and 6. You might consider overnighting closer to the airport.

Have a great trip!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,819 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yucatan itinerary help

As always, well thought out advice by EJ. I also would not make the drive to Tulum my first experience in Mexico.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yucatan itinerary help

Driving in the dark is often not easy in Mexico because you so frequently come across the unexpecetd. However, if you drive to Chichen on the Cuota/Toll road, it is dead straight, with light traffic.

When you exit it you will be very close to Chichen itself and perfectly placed to get into the pyramid site early the next morning. Then you can immerse yourself in the 'real' Mexico.

8. Re: Yucatan itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 31, 2014