We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches

Posted this somewhere else originally but was told it would be better here:

How do the beaches in Mexico compare to Caribbean destinations? I have been to great beaches such as Grace Bay in Turks, Magen's Bay in St Thomas and a few in the Bahamas as well.

Do any of the beaches in Mexico compare? I like soft, white sand and the larger the better!

Thank you all!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches

Someone told you wrong. The beaches in Yucatan state are meh. But the beaches from Cancun down the eastern coast (in the state of Quintan Roo) -- Playa del Carmen, Tulum -- are spectacular and what you're looking for. If you're a beach person, it's a great place to visit.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches

Thank you,

I do know a lot about Mexico, and have heard what others have said about the beaches and how lovely they are. I'm just worried that they won't be up to my standards and needed some re assurance.

Thanks again!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches

The beaches on the Riviera Maya, Caribbean coast are up to anyone's standards, I would say. They are quite simply world class. Those in Yucatan are NOT, as EJ quite rightly says.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches

tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Beaches-cTop…

Not any mention of Tulum which in my opinion is a spectacular beach. yes, Akumal is good for activities but for beach-sheer beach-Tulum. Fronted by little shops and eateries, indulge then head to the backyard-the Carribean Ocean!

Wheeling, IL
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches

Oh my! My husband and I have booked a rental (Casa Xexilia) on the gulf near Chicxulub for the month of Jan, 2014. We have been to the Riviera Maya and Cozumel on the Caribbean side a dozen times and love the beaches there. It is only now occurring to me to ask about the beaches East of Progreso. So...what can we expect?

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
792 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches

If your rental is in Uaymitun, you are about 5 km west of the house we rent in Chicxulub. We have rented in Chicxulub for five years. Before our Chicxulub rental we rented on the beach in Tulum. The beach in Chicxulub/Uaymitun is not as nice as Tulum. The water, while clean, is not as crystal clear as the Carribean. Despite the inferior beach, we still prefer the Gulf of Mexico coast. Rental prices are much more inexpensive. You closer Merida, a real city, rather than the purpose built development on the near Tulum. We rent a house on the beach with a swimming pool on the beach side for a monthly cost less than a week in Tulum.

Wheeling, IL
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches

Thanks for the info WisRiver. The rental agency has referred to our rental as being in both Chicxulub and Uaymitun on different occasions. We were sent a map of downtowntown Chicxulub with the grocery store, laundry, gas station and cyber cafe marked so I'm thinking it's more likely there. Now if only you could tell me you are going to be there for the month of Jan 2014 I would be so much less stressed. Our flight arrives at the Merida airport at 9:23pm and I am so afraid we'll get lost in the dark and not find our way to the meeting place.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
792 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches

SandyW:

Check your private messages.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches

I have been many times to various Caribbean islands and to Mexico. I love Mexico in many ways, especially the central mountains (Guanajuato state, in particular) and there are many pretty places along the Riviera Maya. I like Playa del Carmen better than Cancun or Cozumel, for example, as it's a little more laid back and the Riviera Maya beaches are nicer. That being said, my favorite places in terms of the gorgeous blue water and white sand beaches are the US and British Virgin Islands. St. John has some of the prettiest beaches anywhere. The differences between the Virgin Islands (where you've been -- St. Thomas) and the Mexican beaches are these: The Virgins are very mountainous and picturesque with lush greenery, flowers, and various landscapes. The beaches are in coves around the islands, lined with palm and seagrape, and the water is mostly calm, the prettiest aqua, and very clear. The Mexican beaches, in many places, are long stretches of sand, the land is absolutely flat, and I have never found the water to be as clear or as pretty in color. There is much to see in the Yucatan, however, in addition to beaches. If you're interested in the Maya ruins, these can be amazing places to visit. Also some of the old haciendas are wonderful places to stay. I like to visit Mexico for the history, culture, shopping, etc. I prefer going to the Virgin Islands or other Eastern Caribbean islands for the beaches, water, and natural beauty. I hope this helps.

10. Re: Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 26, 2014