We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap way of going to Tlacolula/ Octolan routes

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Cheap way of going to Tlacolula/ Octolan routes
Save

I will be in Oaxaca for a few days at the end of this week. I read on forum of Tlacolula and Octolan routes, the markets that take place there and I would like to go to one of the routes. Is there any cheap way of visiting these places? I will be in Oaxaca on my own, so renting car or hiring a driver with the car can be a bit expensive (though I don't know what is the cost of hiring a driver with the car in Oaxaca).

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
196 reviews
114 helpful votes
1. Re: Cheap way of going to Tlacolula/ Octolan routes
Save

Yes. You can get a colectivo for Tlacolula by walking up to Niños Heroes de Chapultapec, and over to the baseball stadium. At the east end of the stadium there's a northbound street which ends at Niños Heroes, and taxis, colectivos and buses to Tlacolula come by often. For Ocotlán, the colectivo depot is on Zaragoza, SW corner with Miguel Cabrera. If it's not Miguel Cabrera, its the next SB street but I'm almost positive that's it. There are other places you can catch either, but those two tend to be the most convenient for most visitors to the city.

There are taxi and other drivers who charge anywhere from around 120 pesos an hour and up, but if the intent is to go to only those two markets, then colectivos and buses should do the trick, for a nominal amount, and return you to the city as well. For a cabbie or driver, you accommodations should recommend one to you easily.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

2. Re: Cheap way of going to Tlacolula/ Octolan routes

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.