We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capula’s Catrina Craft Festival for Day of the Dead

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Erongaricuaro...
Level Contributor
177 posts
100 reviews
41 helpful votes
Capula’s Catrina Craft Festival for Day of the Dead

Capula, in Michoacan, high in the mountains around Lake Patzcuaro, is the artistic center for Dia de Muertos. Sunday was the premier of Feria Artesanal de la Catrina, The Calacas of Capula 2011.

This pueblo, halfway between Morelia and Patzcuaro, has long been known for their Day of the Dead "Catrina Dolls." They make the best. The first annual Catrina Festival opened last Sunday, October 23, and will remain open through Dia de Muertos, until November 2, 2011.

We tasted treats from the food court, with indigenous cooks making Tarascan specialties like carnitas, corundas and uchepos, the sweet “pink” tamales. For dessert, we devoured the famous chongos zamoranos, from Zamora. Yum!

We viewed the exhibits of many Capula artists, with booths set-up on the main street into town. There is a special exhibition of local artists, including Antiguo Xenguaro, with his famous skeletons and artist Juan Torres with his catrinas of inspiration.

As you are walking the Festival, continue past the Festival to the Crafts Co-Op, a gallery of the best of Capula's crafts.

On the way out of town, turn left towards the cemetery. Cleaning and decorating has already started. Don't miss the Alfareria Capula, the beautiful Talavera tile workshop, in front of the cemetery and the gallery of Juan Torres, to the right of the cemetery.

Remember to eat the skulls of the living and the bread of the dead.

Saludos de Patzcuaro mágico, David

http://www.lakepatzcuaro.org/Capula.html

The Michoacan Net

Supporting the Arts in Michoacan

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michoacan_net/

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
447 reviews
273 helpful votes
1. Re: Capula’s Catrina Craft Festival for Day of the Dead

David:

A great post about Capula! However, may I suggest doing a travel article on Capula to provide it will the attention that this town deserves? As a general rule, TripAdvisor is a bit lame when it comes to getting interior towns & villages of interest available for search and info. Capula should be included in the attractions in the Patzcuaro area in much the same way that Santa Clara del Cobre is. The tourist business has been so devastated by the media, anything that experienced area travelers can do in a positive manner should help. I know that I was frustrated by the lack of info and tried to include areas we visited on during our most recent trip. We didn't visit Capula on our most recent trip or I would post such an article.

Erongaricuaro...
Level Contributor
177 posts
100 reviews
41 helpful votes
2. Re: Capula’s Catrina Craft Festival for Day of the Dead

I dream of writing a travel article, but until then, posts to travel forums are the best way to spread the good news about Michoacan. Folks need to know, not only about the event, but what it was like to attend. Friends ask about the Festival, "What did you eat?" "Where did you park?" "Which artists did you see?" "Is there anything to see on the way there?" A brief post to a forum can announce all that information.

I use TripAdvisor all the time. It is great for reviews of hotels and restaurants, but unfortunately, neither are in Capula. This travel forum works great for interior towns and villages. You don't need to worry about a restaurant at the Catrina Festival.

Yes, Capula had been in the background of crafts villages, but mostly because of the lack of Festivals. Hence, the great news about the first annual Catrina Festival. If you notice at the link I sent, the poster is from the government agency, Turismo Michoacan.

Let us hope that little things, like travel posts to travel forums, and big things, like posters from Turismo, will give Michoacan artisan crafts the attention it deserve. Feliz Viaje, David

Edited: 9:43 pm, October 29, 2011
Seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Capula’s Catrina Craft Festival for Day of the Dead

Thank you David for this website--I just discovered it. I first encountered Capula last year in 2014 when our guide, Miguel Nunez took us there...FABULOUS! But I was surprised I didn't know more about the place as I had been to Patzcauro twice before. I am taking 5 people there this year, 2015---can't wait to return. I would love to promote Capula...it needs far more recognition...amazing place and artists. Enjoy, Mara

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
447 reviews
273 helpful votes
4. Re: Capula’s Catrina Craft Festival for Day of the Dead

We first visited Capula in 2008 and it is mandatory that we go there each time we visit Patzcuaro. We continue to accept the challenge of bringing "Catrinas" home each trip in one piece. We last visited on 9/19/2015 and here is a photo album from our various visits:

https:/…5548363088974678465

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
447 reviews
273 helpful votes
5. Re: Capula’s Catrina Craft Festival for Day of the Dead

Unknown to me prior to yesterday, there is actually a very basic page on Capula:

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g5001327-Capula_Cent…

And there is one attraction listed:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g5001327-d…

I added some photos and wrote a reveiw from our September visit. This is part of what it will take to bring the deserved attention to Capula.

Erongaricuaro...
Level Contributor
177 posts
100 reviews
41 helpful votes
6. Re: Capula’s Catrina Craft Festival for Day of the Dead

The dates for the Catrina Festival in Capula are Oct 24 - Nov 3, 2015

7. Re: Capula’s Catrina Craft Festival for Day of the Dead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, October 22, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Michoacan