We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Which Rio San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worcs.
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria

Hi, my pharmacy doesn't think there is a need for precautionary malaria tablets. Does anybody take them?

Ajay

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,710 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria

Hi Ajay,

There has been no outbreaks of malaria reported on the north coast of the DR for many years now.

Many do take them and many dont its come down to the advice from your Dr/Practise Nurse according to your own medical history.

In saying all that me personally and my family do take them and have done so on all our trips to the DR........

My insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inocculations or medications prior to my trip. Better to be safe than sorry. So I would look into your travel insurance.

I also keep up to date with Fit for Travel NHS website.

http://tinyurl.com/7g44f6w

Angie.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria

This issue is regularly debated on this site - do a quick search. I personally have never taken these tablets when visiting the DR or living there (over 20 years) as the risks are low. The insurance issue though may be worth considering.

As to the NHS site - when they mention that "There is also a risk in game parks" one does question the source of their data - copy and paste?

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria

Hey i'm one of those people that has never taken them in the 10yrs i've been going, my doc told me it was my choice as the risk was so low, i tried them the 1st time but they made me ill so stayed away .....suppose it is down to personal preference :-)

Worcs.
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria

Thanks for your honest opinion. I will go to a different pharmacy and get some. All innoculations up to date!

Thanks

Ajay x

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,179 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria

No malaria on the north coast in many many years. No one i know living here or most visitors (except those from Canada and the UK) take them.

BUT and a big BUT do be aware of falling coconuts. We actually have had a touist get killed by one a couple of years back. :)

BObK

Keswick, Canada
Level Contributor
506 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria

We don't take them. Beware of the coconuts!!!

Worcs.
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria

lol the coconuts! Hard hat not sun hat then :-)

Thanks x

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria

There is a 'travellers diarrea' medication that you can take before your trip that covers you for malaria as well. It is called Dukoral (not sure of spelling). Apparently is immunizes for malaria for 2 years.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,710 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria

Njoytours,

I have heard and read of Dukoral providing effective protection against cholera but not against Malaria. Have you got a link to to where it states Dukoral immunizes against Malaria as at this present time there is no malaria vaccine approved for human use and Dukoral is only an antibiotic.

Angie.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria

Hi Angie,

You are right! My pharmacist had told me it was effective against Malaria, but I've just done research on it and it is cholera that it is effective for. Sorry for the confusion!

Get answers to your questions about Rio San Juan