We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

San Francisco
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

Hi. Leaving on a cruise (Piraeus) arriving ATH one or two days early. Someone suggested to look for htls in Monostiraki area vs. Piraeus (noisy? industrial? unsafe?)

What do you think?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

Well the Monostraki is certainly very central to all the action so you got a good suggestion there However to get any good advice you need to give us a bit more to go on. What is your budget. When are you travelling. You can get good budget accommodation or you can spend a bundle for first class. Without understanding your budget, recommendations may well be irrelevant.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

Thanks. I prefer not to spend more than USD$130.00 per night. I've been also looking in the Acropolis area. What's the difference between the two neighborhoods? (Monostiraki vs Acropolis) Which neighborhood would be easier to get transportation to Piraeus for the cruise lines?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

I know that I am not being completely accurate here and those more knowledgeable than I will be able to be more accurate, but the whole area around the Acropolis I call Plaka. This would include Monestraki/Plaka and Acropolis. All are totally central around the Acropolis Any hotel in this area would be a good choice as everything is within easy walking distance.

The metro train runs through this area so it is easy and inexpensive to take the metro to the port. The metro actually terminates at the ferry port so it is a 20 minute walk to the cruise ship terminal. I would suggest you consider taking a taxi. That is certainly more expensive but 20 minutes with luggage in Piraeus traffic is no picnic.

You should start to think in terms of costs in Euros as that is the currency that everything is transacted in. Roughly your budget is just around 110 Euros per night. We have stayed several times at Hotel Attalos which is about 200 meters from the Monestraki metro station. It is a tourist class hotel with a roof top bar with a view of the Acropolis. You get what you pay for here but the rooms are clean you get location and that view. You will get lots of other suggestions probably for better hotels in this area but this is the one we know.

Here are some pictures we have taken in the Plaka area. You can see everything basically has a view of the Acropolis.

travel.webshots.com/album/570719132pdjjHG

San Francisco
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

Thanks again. Will check out Attalos Hotel.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

Stanbr,

love the photos.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

Thank you Tommac

Sky you might also think about using a hotel site like Booking dot com. I use it all the time. You just plug in your dates and it will provide you with all the hotels prices and reviews for your dates. This way you can find lots of options in the area you are interested in.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

Great photos and it gave me some ideas for limited sightseeing. I'm only in ATH to pick up a cruise. If I wind up staying in the Piraeus area, do you know if it's safe to take the Metro between Piraeus -Monostiraki around 8-9pm?

Edited: 2:41 pm, September 25, 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

Yes it is safe to take the metro. Having said that, pickpockets do operate around the ferry port and on the metro and the metro stations. Last year I had my wallet picked even though it was in a buttoned down pocket. My fault I knew better. You need to keep your money in a money belt under clothes. There is no physical danger just those pesky people with quick hands.

I do not think Piraeus is anything special and In my opinion I would take the opportunity to stay in Athens even if it is only for an overnight. As you can see from the pictures it really is special. If you get a hotel with Acropolis view you will have a memory for life.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

Sounds wonderful. Any suggestions for roof top dining with a view that's not too too expensive?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area

We have dined at several rooftop tavernas but I do not recall the names. A couple of years ago Yiassas posted some pictures of a rooftop taverna just beside Monestraki square. I had planned to try it but we ended up going into Psiri instead. Perhaps you could PM her and ask about that one, it looked great in her photos.

Reply to: Please suggest some hotels in Monostiraki area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Monastiraki