We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

Which Bang Saphan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
65 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

We will be travelling from ST Airp't to Bang Saphan in December.

What is the most convenient mode of transport? I notice that the only train connections from ST/Phun Phin get in rather late (21:00 or later), so am inclined to take a minivan direct from the airport if such exists.

Does one have to take a minivan to Chumphon and then another from Chumphon to Bang Saphan?

Anyone out there with local knowledge?

Thanks.

16 replies to this topic
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,207 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

You probably have to go into Surat Thani Town to get a minibus.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

We have just driven this route, why not hire a car & drive yourselves, well sign posted highway:)

Cathy

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
65 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

Thanks for both.

To Cathy and Gary:

Yes, it had crossed my mind, and being mobile in a small place might be handy, but the downside is paying for a rental sitting idle while we are chilling in a hammock on the beach for some days.

The days mount up, and it starts to look a rather expensive alternative. I suspect there is no way one could do a rental pick-up at ST Airport and a drop-off in Bang Saphan. It would have to be in Hua Hin or even in BKK, and travel onwards from Bang Saphan northwards is relatively simple by train.

We'd probably train it from ST anyway, but there's a five-hour wait between the morning one (which we'd miss anyway with our current arrival schedule) and the next available. Hanging out at Phun Phin station for four hours is not my idea of phun.

All this would be a whole lot easier if I could get a reply from our prospective hosts in BS, but they seem content to let Agoda handle everything, dammit...

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,207 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

Cathy & Gary,

I know this is a bit of an old post, but I'm looking at visiting either Bang Saphan or Nakhon si Thammarat next year.

Where did you hire the car from, was it from the ST airport and did you drop the car back off at ST or somewhere else.

Thanks

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

Hi Cassnu,

Our Bang Saphan trip we drove from Phuket & back. The trip we just did to Cha-Am which included Nakohn Si Thammarat was also from Phuket, so both of those trips we hired from Phuket.

The Issan drive we did we hired from Udon Thani & returned the car back there as well. So sorry this doesn not really answer your questions:)

Cathy

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,207 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

Which did you like better Bang Saphan or Nakhon Si Thammarat? I'm sure both have their merits.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

Loved Khanom Beach at Nakhon so much more, so much that we will go back again next year & there is just so much to see and do around Nakhon Si Thammarat, we have only scratched the surafce there:)

Cathy

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,207 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

Thanks Cathy, I think we may head there then as it does look good and that way we can hire a car from Hat Yai and drive north stopping at Songkhla on the way through.

Just realised I've hijacked this thread, apologies everyone.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

That will be a lovely drive, lots of good places to stop, start a new thread haha, its nice talking about different places instead of the old same same :)

Cathy

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan

Bang Saphan / Ban krut / Koh Talu are lovely , it depends where you fly into, Budget have a place in Surat Thani + Hua hin ( and others of course ) so you could for example pick up a car in Hua Hin and then Ban Krut / Bang Saphan area and then down to Khanom and Nakhon Si Thammarat, distances are not a lot, Hua Hin to Ban Krut about 2 hrs 30 mins, gorgeous long beaches :)

Reply to: Surat Thani Airport to Bang Saphan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bang Saphan
More Bang Saphan Topics