We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycling around the lake

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
452 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Bicycling around the lake

My husband is an avid and strong road cyclist, and we'll fly out with his bike. We'll be out for several days right at the end of June/beginning of July and he hopes to cycle around the lake. Any tips, such as the preferred direction, time of day, etc?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycling around the lake

Have you checked out this site?

www.tahoebike.org/index.php…

Very comprehensive map that he will probably find helpful.

Most of the lake is pretty good for cycling - I have riden bikes around quite a bit of the lake, but not the whole lake and never in one shot - just some here and a bit there over the years. Quite a bit of the lake has bike/pedestrian paths to ride on, which is nice. Careful around Emerald Bay though - this part is sketchy and honestly that stretch would keep me from riding around the lake completely - specifcally the part where the road runs along the ridge between Emerald Bay and Cascade Lake - you can see this with Google Streetview to see what I am talking about.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,031 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycling around the lake

Never ridden a bike anywhere near all the way around the lake, but sure do see lots of them doing so. Especiall on the Mt. Rose Hwy, from Reno to Incline Village. See them all times of day, but they must start in morning, as we see them around noon when we arrive at the lake.

For driving, we like starting from Incline Village in the north, and heading south to SLT, as you are on the lake side and the views are beautiful.

Where are you staying? Will you be thete over the 4th? Lots of fun then.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicycling around the lake

On the South side, be aware of the expansion cracks in the pavement. They are pretty nasty. Parts of the highway are just one bump after the other. I'll be riding my road bike up there in late July, but more on the West/North shore.

Edited: 11:34 pm, May 31, 2013
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicycling around the lake

As mentioned the southwest corner of the lake around Emerald bay is the most challenging. It's very narrow, has steep sections, and the ground drops off very steeply just off the pavement. Avoid this section when the sun is low in the sky, he will want drivers to have clear vision without the sun in their eyes.

Or maybe do that part first thing in the morning when there is the least amount of traffic. I think it would be easiest to do that section counter clockwise, he'll be going downhill on the steepest sections.

Edited: 10:55 am, June 01, 2013
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicycling around the lake

Take a look at Google maps, zoom into the section of hiway 89 between Emerald Bay and Cascade lake. Turn on the "terrain" feature so you can see the topography. You'll see how the road runs along a sharp ridge along this section. The ground drops off very steeply on both sides of the road, it's kind of cool, but on a bike pretty sketchy. The switchbacks to the right are probably the steepest place at any point around the entire lake. I would want to go down them and not up, to minimize my time sharing that road with cars.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
452 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bicycling around the lake

Thanks for all your good advice!

7. Re: Bicycling around the lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 03, 2014