We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking to Emerald Bay?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
170 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking to Emerald Bay?

We are going to rent a home in the Rubicon area of West Lake Tahoe and are considering kayaking to Emerald Bay one day. We are considering doing a guided kayak trip with either Tahoe City Kayak (leaving from DL Bliss going to Emerald Bay) or with Kayak Tahoe (leaving from Baldwin Beach going to Emerald Bay). I'm wondering which trip will be more scenic and which will be an easier paddle? Also, if you've done either of these trips, can you let me know how strong we need to be for the paddling? Although we have kayaked several times in calm ocean waters and streams, we are two women (ages 53 and 60) and are only 5 ft. 2" tall, in reasonably good shape, but not exactly brawny. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking to Emerald Bay?

Most scenic is Dl Bliss southward .he water is pretty calm on the west side. If it's a windy or stormy day you would have rough waters however.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking to Emerald Bay?

The morning is usually the best for calm waters.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking to Emerald Bay?

The morning is usually the best for calm waters.

Your height isn't relevant. A guided tour will be at a relaxed pace. Since you've kayaked in the ocean you should do fine.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking to Emerald Bay?

I find that on the north and east sides of the lake you really do have to mind the time of day but the west side is pretty calm most of the time. I'd be more aware of the weather or wind than the time of day for a wast side trip.

5. Re: Kayaking to Emerald Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 09, 2012