We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Lake Tahoe (California)
Search

Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
25 reviews
103 helpful votes
Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

Hi. M sisters and I are planning a trip to Tahoe in late May. I used to visit the North Shore (Carnelian Bay) every summer when my daughter was young but haven't been back for years. I'd like some input to help me decide where to find lodging (probably a condo rental). We are not gamblers, but we want to have some good restaurants and some shopping fairly close by. We want to explore some easy hiking trails and will probably either rent a boat or take a boat tour of the lake. We would enjoy being being in either a wooded area or in a place with a lake view. Do you think that one shore would suit us better than the other? Are there any condo rentals that you'd recommend (2 beds, 2 ba. private hot tub would be nice). Thanks for any input you can offer.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
85 reviews
111 helpful votes
1. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

You might want to look into Kings Beach on the North shore then. Lots of condos there, some in the woods, some right on the lake. Go to vrbo.com and search under Kings beach, and you should see lots of condo listings.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
25 reviews
103 helpful votes
2. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

Thank you!

California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
83 reviews
84 helpful votes
3. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

You may want to take a look at Tahoe City and Tahoma. Even Incline Village could work. There are some condos available in these areas, they are a little less developed (read: more woods), and the developed parts are nicer (read: Kings Beach is a dump).

South Lake Tahoe will have plenty of rentals and there are easily accessible restaurants/shops/boat tours, but it feels more like Anytown USA than the North Shore.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
85 reviews
111 helpful votes
4. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

hum...not sure what you got against Kings Beach, it is definitely not a dump.

We have rented a number of different condos, cabins, and a very large house in Kings Beach, they are all very nice, upscale, and well managed. The whole town is quite nice. We stayed at Kings Beach often because it is very close to Northstar ski resort, and we ski there a lot.

South Lake Tahoe definitely has a lot of rentals there, but it is quite a bit busier, but also with a lot more activities to offer.

California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
83 reviews
84 helpful votes
5. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. I stayed in Kings Beach this past weekend, and while being on the lake is of course great, in my opinion the town doesn't have as much to offer as other towns around the lake. However, Kings Beach does have value!

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
25 reviews
103 helpful votes
6. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

Thanks for all your replies. I had narrowed it down to some private homes in King's Beach, but ended up choosing a home on the West Shore, just 1.5 mi from Tahoe City. It looks great--beautiful views of the lake and a hot tub on the deck. We're all set! If anyone has suggestions for good but not too expensive restaurants. That would be helpful. Also, is the Safeway in Tahoe City the most convenient place for groceries? Thanks again!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
42 helpful votes
7. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

When you say your house is 1.5 from Tahoe City is it east of Tahoe City? In that case Safeway is the most convenient. If it is south of Tahoe City then Save Mart (used to be Vons among others) is most convenient.

In the summer getting thru Tahoe City can be a challenge but in May you should be fine. If you prefer Safeway you should be able to reach it without sitting in traffic thru Tahoe City..

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
25 reviews
103 helpful votes
8. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

Thanks for that information. The house is in the Sunnyside area, so I'm thinking that's southeast of Tahoe City? I'm still trying to get my bearings!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
42 helpful votes
9. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

Sunnyside is south of Tahoe City on 89. Savemart is right at the Y across from Fanny Bridge. You won't be able to miss it.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
25 reviews
103 helpful votes
10. Re: Help deciding on a location: North vs South Lake Tahoe
Save

Thanks, Suzie!