We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer in Tahoe

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
summer in Tahoe

My family (with a 7 yo and a 2 yo) will be spending the entire month of July at Tahoe. We are trying to decide which resort to rent a condo at. We are considering North Star, but I'd love to have some input as to which place would be best for a one month stay with kids. For comparison, we love Vail and Beaver Creek...any thoughts?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer in Tahoe

You are so lucky! I love Tahoe in July! Northstar is nice but it's not really at the lake. It's about a 15 minute or so drive from the Northstar area to Kings Beach.

Look into High Sierra at the Hyatt. Across the street from the beach, Great facility, nice beach and grounds.

There are also cabins in Incline village that have privilidges at a aprivate beach with a pool. You might look into that.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer in Tahoe

Tahoe is wonderful in July! The High Sierra is an excellent suggestion. It would be my first choice if looking for a condo in Tahoe. Northstar isn't lakefront, but they have a great pool area. They have a skating rink, which your older child might enjoy. The Resort at Squaw Creek, in Squaw Valley, is also lovely with a huge pool. As with the Northstar, it's about 15 minutes to the lake. Northstar and Squaw have villages with a variety of restaurants and shops.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: summer in Tahoe

We're curious if the water temp will be warm enough for comfortable swimming in the Lake.?

Thanks,

Steve&April

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: summer in Tahoe

The water will be cold, but my experience with kids is that they don't even notice it after they have got themselves wet. YOU, however, may have second thoughts. You can rent a paddle wheely thing to sort of "bicycle" on the lake. I don't remember what they are called.

Tahoe in the summer is magical. Visit the Tallac Historic Site, with its lovely 1920's houses on the lake and imagine that you were one of the fortunate wealthy persons from San Francisco who could afford to build these and spend your entire summer on the Lake.

I agree with suzie's and spotcat's recommendations for lodging.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,619 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: summer in Tahoe

We stay at the Hyatt's High Sierra in Incline Village, every July. You have access to everything at the Hyatt hotel, entrance to the beach, lounges, towels, etc. The swimming pools are great, kids pools and Jacuzzi's. Fire pits around the property, use of hammocks, etc. Most the fun of Lake Tahoe is staying lakeside.

Two miles from the Hyatt is Sand Harbor, a small cove that charges and entrance fee, but the clear water is actually warmer than the lake, as it is more shallow. They have picnic tables, restroom facilities, it's great.

We'll have our 7 year old grandchild with us this July 4th. The fireworks shot from a barge off the lake are fantastic. They have live music and entertainment all day. The town celebrates for several days with picnics and parades. You can only get to the lake in front of the hotel if you have a wristband from the Hyatt. Here's info from last year's celebration.

http://www.redwhiteandtahoeblue.com/

6. Re: summer in Tahoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 11, 2012