We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

Which Whitehorse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

We are heading Whitehorse for the Northern Lights on last weekend of March. We'll live in town center. I checked those package like Northern Tail which sounds great but quite costly.

Any suggestion for where and how to go to watch it by ourselves without spending too much? Such as renting a car to somewhere or taking taxi, etc. or is there anyone we can join to watch it together ?

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
816 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

You could rent a car by the day if NL forecast looks good. Just drive north or west and take a side road.

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

Thanks for your advice, Etrefal! It's very helpful for me to plan my trip.

Do you happen to know any place in whitehorse where people normally go to watch it? I'm kind of feel lonely in a car without human surrounding.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
816 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

There are no specific places but once in town, you can post on Kijiji or Couch-Surfing or even visit local backpacker's hostels to find a few others. That's what I do, ha!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

And then you need to get out of town, away from light sources.......You cannot just watch them in town, it's not like a fireworks show.......Why do you feel uncomfortable being away from people ??.....That's one of the wonderful things about the Yukon, the wide open, unoccupied, country that just makes you want to travel further.........I haven't experienced this aspect of the northern lights, but some folks have actually heard a soft humming sound that emanates from the lights, that would be harder to enjoy with lots of people around.....

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

Thanks. Regarding the rental car in this season, it's supposed to have snow tires, right? Is that too late if i rent it on my arriving day? It seems that the coming Sat is a snowy day. I wish I have a luck on Friday night.

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

Well, I understand what you mean. I will definately enjoy the wild nature.

The thing is that I'm not looking for many people, just wanting to have like one or two more cars to have a sense of security and belonging .

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
816 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

Car rental companies are Driving Force (Fox), Budget, and K&K Truck Rentals

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

"Security" ???..........I can't think of another place on earth that I have ever felt safer than the Yukon.........We have been on several long distance back packing trips into very remote places and I would do another on my own in a heartbeat.......

Book your rental car, cross your fingers for clear weather, maybe take an hour or so during daylight hours to scout out a place to park, then when you return after dark you will feel more comfortable.......

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

Haha! I'm not worrying about human being, I'm worrying about bear,etc.

You are right! Get familiar with whatever place in daytime may help a lot.

I keep on checking the weather forecast every couple of hours. Wish I have a good luck.

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where and how to watch the Northern Light In Whitehorse

Thank you. I think I'll book the car anyway. I'll drive around in day time if I don't have luck for the light.