We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

Which Whitehorse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Okemos, Michigan...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

We really want to get into Kluane but can't really tell from the Holland America excursion descriptions which ones are the best for this. For instance, the Dezadeash River Float is a 8 hour trip, with 4 hours of travel. Do we stop at the Kluane Visitor Center? Do we have time for anything besides the float trip? Has anyone done the Kluane excursions?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

Elaine have you already booked this bus trip ?...........I always feel soooo sorry when I see these buses crossing the Yukon.......some travel days on the bus are really, really long..........renting a car and driving yourself will give you much more freedom and flexibility of where (and for how long) you want to stop and you can also choose your own lodging.....arriving with a herd of people and constantly waiting in line is a very real consideration....

......the scenery in the Yukon is vast and gorgeous, you will just brush the surface speeding by in a bus......

But I digress, to answer your question above......the 4 hours of travel to the river may very well be the same route that you travel on your next (or previous) day's trip......that could be kind of boring.......

Okemos, Michigan...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

No, we haven't booked anything. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to see Kluane. If we rent a car, can we get to anything besides the Visitor Center? And, how much do we stop and see things as part of the HAL tour? Have you done it?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

Elaine, I took a bus trip in Alaska that we added to a cruise many years ago......and will never go that route again........We travel to and through the Yukon many times a year as it is so near here to Haines which is also a vacation destination for many Yukoners, so we are reciprocal guests.......Yukon is our playground......

Kluane Provencial park is one of the largest parks in the world.....most of it remote with no roads.......two highways border the edges of the park with lots of trails into it.......the Visitors Centre is in Haines Junction, a town about 1.5 hr west of Whitehorse and is a good source for maps and brochures......there are also sightseeing flights that leave from Haines Junction that will give an overview of the park........

I am not familiar with the stops that Holland America use in the Yukon.....I have only seen them roaring down the highway or stopped at rest areas....

What are your expectations of Kluane and what types of activities do you enjoy ?.......Is this a solo trip or would you be with others ?......

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
703 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

A Kluane National Park, th visitor Centre is worth it. I don't know if Holland stops there... probably.

If you rent a car you can follow the good weather.

You can book your own rafting excursion at the Junction or preferably a few weeks ahead.

If you have a 4x4, the Alsek River Road 12km northwest of the Junction is quite nice.

Enjoy!

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
703 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

A Kluane National Park, th visitor Centre is worth it, just like the bakery across the street. I don't know if Holland stops there... probably.

If you rent a car you can follow the good weather.

You can book your own rafting excursion at the Junction or preferably a few weeks ahead. Tatshenshini Espediting is the most experienced.

If you have a 4x4, the Alsek River Road 12km northwest of the Junction is quite nice, so is Mush Lake road, south or town. Kathleen Lake is worth a look, I really liked St-Elias Lake 4km hike and the Oriol 18km hiking loop.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

Ooooh, thank you Etrefal.......I'm taking note of those off the beaten path places for next summer.......

Are you familiar with a 4x4 road that goes to the far side of Kluane Lake (the side opposite the highway) ?.......wondering if it could be considered a good place to drive in as far as it goes and then maybe backpack from there for a couple days......

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
703 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

I'll ask around but I don't think it a year round trail

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
703 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

North of the Junction, on the access road to Silver City,( Kluane Bed and Breakfast), just past a gravel pit, take a right. It's the access road to a mine. Apparently quite nice. Probably 50km in

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

Thank you so much......summer plans help these long winter days go by quicker........

10. Re: Holland America excursions in Whitehorse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:41 pm, June 17, 2013