We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Whitehorse

Which Whitehorse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cracow, Poland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Calgary to Whitehorse

Hello,

We plan to drive from Calgary to Whitehorse during this summer. We plan to make this route in four days.

I would be really thankful for your suggestions on where to stay for these four nights. (distances between all four stops should be similar). Any further advice would also be nice.

We preffer motels and B&Bs. A secure campground would also be fine.

PS. For the time being I plan to make the first stop around Williamson Provincial Park and the second one at Pink Mountain. I have no idea on the third stop (last one before Whitehorse).

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Whitehorse

If your 2nd stop is at Pink Mountain, I'd consider to be the last stop at Liard River. Beautiful surroundings, lovely hot springs. There's the Liard Hotsprings Lodge and a Provincial Park campground, which is where we stayed last year.

It's not a big campground and it's pretty busy during the summer, so maybe it's not a bad idea to make a reservation. There are about 20 reservable sites and the rest is first come, first served.

From Pink Mtn. to Liard is appr. 350 miles, that leaves you with the same distance for your last leg to Whitehorse.

Cracow, Poland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Whitehorse

Thanks.

The plan has changed a little bit. Right now we plan to make three stops and on the fourth day we want to arrive in Whitehorse. The plan is to stop in Calais/Williamson Prov. Park (near to Sturgeon Lake), then at Fort Nelson, then at Watson Lake and finally in Whitehorse.

What do you think about that? An important thing for us is to keep all the distances similar. Do you think we should make all the reservations in advance? I wonder because it would be a nice thing just to drive straight forward and stop if we find something nice around spots I mentioned above.

Thank you for the advice :)

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Whitehorse

That's what we always try to do, but we also found out it doesn't always work out like you planned. Sometimes it's the weather, sometimes a place just isn't what you expected it to be.

We didn't find either Ft. Nelson or Watson Lake very appealing places. If you can stretch your first leg to f.i. Grande Prairie. Just west of it is a wonderful campground in Saskatoon Island Provincial Park.

The second day you could pass Ft. Nelson and plan a stopover at either the Toad River Lodge. or better still, the Northern Rockies Lodge near Muncho Lake. We rented a cabin there, but they also have an RV-park and hotelrooms.

Finally, instead of Watson Lake, I'd stop at Teslin Lake at the Teslin Lake Motel, which also has RV-sites. Not a real great location, but we did have a wonderful spot at the waterfront and enjoyed the long daylight.

Teslin Lake is not too far away from Whitehorse, which would give you the opportunity to make one or two detours. From Jakes Corner south along Hwy 7 to Atlin and Atlin Lake and/or along Hwy 8 to have a look at a real strange natural phenomenon The Carcross Desert. Yes, there's a real desert up there in the north. We couldn't believe it when we first saw it.

Just a few ideas. Hope it will help you plan your trip.

Cracow, Poland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary to Whitehorse

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. It seems we willy take your advice 100% :)

The first distance seems to be a long ride, but I think it all makes a nice 4-day plan :)

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary to Whitehorse

Glad to be of help.

I don't know how long you're going to stay in and around Whitehorse, if at all,

but if you do there's a wonderful sort of circle route you can take. Starting in Whitehorse along Hwy 1 to Haines Junction, then take Hwy 3 south to Haines, AK which will take you through the incredibly beautiful Tatshenshini Alsek Park.

Take the ferry from Haines to Skagway, AK(very touristy, but in a nice way).

From Skagway you should book yourself on the White Pass & Yukon Railway tour. It's a 3 hours roundtrip from Skagway to Bennett and it's the most beautiful trainride you'll ever make.

From Skagway you'll drive up north again along Hwy 2 to Whitehorse, passing the Carcross Desert on your way.

We took three days to complete the circle, but it's easily doable in two.

Cracow, Poland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary to Whitehorse

Thank you for the advice, but I've just checked the distances ... First two rides are about 10 hours, third one is 8 and the last one is only 2 hours. I am not sure whether it is wise to have such long distances (10 hours) to drive during one day. If we have four days, I think it would be better to cut the whole trip into four similar parts.

If you arrive late in the evening tired (and have to get up early the next day) then even a nice spot doesn't make it up.

Do you have any other suggestions on how to cut this distance into four parts?

Anyway, thank you for the engagement :)

Edited: 1:17 pm, May 29, 2010
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary to Whitehorse

We dived into our Canada travel-archive and came up with a completely different route, more equally divided then the previous one. It's part of our 2004 trip: (without knowing, of course, whether or not you already traveled this route before)

Calgary - McBride appr. 580km 7½ hours

McBride - Hazelton/Kitwanga area 700km. 8½h.

Hazelton - Boya Lake 630km. 8¼h

Boya lake - Whitehorse 575km 7¾h

It's a beautiful drive along the Icefields Pwy. Yellowhead Hwy, Cassiar Hwy and finally Alaska Hwy.

We especially enjoyed the Cassiar Highway.

You won't have any trouble finding lodging in/near McBride andd Hazelton and there's a beautiful campground at Boya Lake.

Cracow, Poland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Calgary to Whitehorse

That's a nice plan you have mentioned, but ... we will be doing same route prior to our arrival in Calgary (we are coming from Prince Rupert to Calgary (through Jasper and Banff of course)).

So unless anyone has a better idea, we will have to stick to our Calgary-Valleyview-Fort Nelson-Watson Lake-Whitehorse plan.

9. Re: Calgary to Whitehorse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 02, 2010