We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Spray

Auckland
Level Contributor
470 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Spray

Can anyone give any advice? should we be carrying this and if so where we can purchase. We are planning to do walks, definitely not long hikes and will stick to marked trails but have read that bears like the cleared trails. Any other tips on being bear smart would be welcome, there are just 2 of us, should we do guided walks or look to join larger groups? We are planning to go into Alaska so any issues on taking Bear spray across the border? I have looked through the forum and there seems to be conflicting info on this. Thanks everyone.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
867 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Spray

For bear safety, you should look at Parks Canada's web site.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Spray

About the border ... I have found web links in the past to Canadian regulations that seem to say that it's fine to bring bear spray over a land crossing into Canada, as long as the spray meets Canadian labelling regulations (i.e. that it is a bear deterrent only), however, I recently met someone socially who works in an adminstrative capacity for the CBSA (border service), in a position that involves knowledge of the regulations, and she told me it is not allowed. Although I am having trouble doubting her, I had looked it up for myself when I had the same questions as you. I haven't gone back to look up the regulations again, so I am confused about it.

My experience, taking it from Canada into the US and back again, at two different border crossings is that we were never asked about weapons or bear spray in either case, and never thought to mention it.

I found this link, about taking it into the US from Canada: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/878/~/want-to-bring-bear-spray-into-the-u.s.

... and this one for Canada: cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/…bsf5044-eng.pdf ... but although it mentions that sprays intended for use against people are forbidden, it does not mention bear spray. This does, though - see section 25c: cbsa.gc.ca/publications/…d19-13-2-eng.html ... it mentions bear spray specifically as an exception to prohibited weapons. So I am still confused. ;-)

Edited: 12:15 pm, June 11, 2014
Auckland
Level Contributor
470 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Spray

Thanks for the replies, its is confusing about the border crossings but as will be buying in Canada taking it to the US and then back to Canada hopefully we will be buying the permitted stuff. Do the parks sell it or are we best to try and buy in Whitehorse before we set off?

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
470 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Spray

You need to buy it in Whitehorse - it's highly likely that it's not available anywhere else in the territory.

5. Re: Bear Spray

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 13, 2015