We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

Hi,

I'm hoping to leave Whitehorse on July 2nd and wanted to travel back to Vancouver and see as much as possible on the way.

Ideally I'd like to go via Prince Rupert and the ferry back to Vancouver.

Is this doable, how long would the road travel be from Whitehorse to PR and can I take a bus?

Just looking for some tips really to make the most of my holiday in Canada.

Thanks

E

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

That's a heck of a bus ride!

Depending on how much time you have(or willing to take) you could do it in three stages:

www.rome2rio.com/s/Prince-Rupert/Whitehorse

As far as I know there's no ferry going directly from Pr. Rupert to Vancouver. You can take the ferry(Inside Passage) from pr. Rupert to Port Hardy and take the bus from there to Victoria or Nanaimo and from either of these two the ferry to Horsesehoe Bay or Tswawassen.

www.vancouverislandnorth.ca/getting-here/

www.bcferries.com

Edited: 7:16 pm, May 02, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

Thank you very much Wallie.

Seems I can take a bus/train to Skagway - find a way to Prince Rupert and take a ferry to Port Hardy and another ferry to Vancouver.

I can combine this with some sea kayaking somewhere so sounds fantastic - as long as I can fit the teim, seafood eating and kayaking in!

Anyone knows a good kayaking company do let me know!

Thanks again

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

The Skagway route would work out well for you.

Quadra island (across Campbell River) is a great place for kayaking.

www.kayakbritishcolumbia.com

www.kayakingtours.com

www.quadraislandkayaks.com

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

Take the bus to Skagway, then board the Alaska Marine Highway to Prince Rupert.....

Here is the link to the ferry schedule http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

From Prince Rupert you can take a Canadian ferry down to Vancouver......

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

A bus to Skagway? I'm not aware of any scheduled service. I think you'd have to hop on a tour. I'd be happy to be corrected.

Carl

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,385 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

There is no ferry from Prince Rupert or Port Hardy to Vancouver. BC Ferries goes from PR to Port Hardy on the north tip of Vancouver Island, then you've got a long haul to Vancouver by land.

Island Link bus has a new service from PH down to Victoria. You could take the bus PH to Victoria, or PH to Nanaimo depending on your allowable time and where you want to cross over to the mainland.

Nanaimo means the Departure Bay - Horseshoe Bay run, Victoria means the Swartz Bay - Tsawwassen run.

Island Link bus: https://www.islandlinkbus.com/

BC Ferries: www.bcferries.com

You could fly from PH to Vancouver on Pacific Coastal Airlines, if it turns out to be necessary. http://www.pacificcoastal.com/

Here is a map of what's involved with the ferry, then Island Link, then BC Ferries. You can see the distances and times in the left sidebar of the map. I've stuck Departure Bay ferry terminal in there so you can see where the ferry would cross to Horseshoe Bay. Zoom the map in to see detail.

http://goo.gl/maps/Pvaxr

From Victoria, you could look into Pacific Coach Lines for a 4 hour journey, including the 1.5 ferry ride, from downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver.

www.pacificcoach.com

There will be lots of information for the Vancouver Island/Vancouver part of your trip if you post on the British Columbia forum for that info.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

The White Pass and Yukon Railway travels between Skagway and Whitehorse via Carcross.

According to their website, the trip can be taken in either direction. In your case (Whitehorse to Skagway), you board a motor coach at the White Pass Depot in Whitehorse for a trip along the scenic South Klondike Highway to Fraser, BC. You would then connect with the world famous narrow gauge White Pass & Yukon Route Railway. The 28-mile rail excursion descends over the White Pass Summit and into Skagway.

It is advertised as a round trip, including a two hour layover in Skagway before reboarding the motor coach for the trip back to Whitehorse. However, if you contact the company, you may be able to negotiate a one-way journey. As far as I could see, their usual one-way trips either start in Fraser or Carcross but if you send them an email, they may be able to help.

When we travelled last year, we took the train/bus combo from Skagway to Whitehorse via Bennett and Carcross and so I cannot advise further on your particular trip.

www.wpyr.com

Underneath the picture of the train, there is a blue tool bar. Click on "contact" in order to send an email.

As far as the Skagway-Prince Rupert part of your journey, I second MomBear's advice to use the Marine Highway (ferry) system. We took heed of what she said last year and had a fantastic journey through the Inside Passage using the ferries as foot passengers.

Edited: 5:12 pm, May 07, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

You are all fabulous - thanks so much for all your help and advice.

It's going to be a great trip after I've completed my Yukon River Quest race!

One double-check though, if I may.

I've found just a bus from Whitehorse to Skagway (much cheaper than the bus/train combo) www.yukonalaskatouristtours.com/schedule.html - does anyone know if this is up to date info?

I've emailed to check as well.

Thanks

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

Yup. I just phoned them. They start daily service May 21.

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whitehorse to Prince Rupert to Vancouver

Oh thanks so much - really kind of you Fiveneedlepine.