We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What not to miss Whitehorse to Dawson

San Luis Obispo...
2 posts
Save Topic
What not to miss Whitehorse to Dawson

This August we are going to Dawson City to visit my great-grandfather's gold claim on Bonanza Creek. We plan to be in Dawson for Discovery Days. We are flyingplan to fly in to Whitehorse, ride the White Pass & Yukon RR and take the Husky bus to Dawson.

While we are there, what's not to miss?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What not to miss Whitehorse to Dawson

Well if you are taking the bus from Whitehorse to Dawson, I cannot recommend what "not to miss" along that route as you will have no choice over where you stop, if you are on the bus......

Why not rent a car in Whitehorse so you will have more flexibility both on the way to Dawson and even around Dawson itself ???......The entire town is full of historical buildings and several nice museums......there is also a really neat gold dredge out near the end of the dirt road from Bonanza that you would need a car to get to........

How much time will you have and who are we ???

If you have enough time (10 plus days) I would recommend a circle driving route to include Whitehorse to Dawson to Chicken to Beaver Creek to Haines Junction to Haines, Alaska ferry to Skagway return to Whitehorse......

Get a map, do a little research on-line in each town as to what is available and return to the forum with specific questions.....you will get a lot of helpful suggestions and opinions from locals and travelers....

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
947 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What not to miss Whitehorse to Dawson

Dawson City has a nice Visitor Centre and the Museum is great. The Pit, a low down bar, is something to see...

San Luis Obispo...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What not to miss Whitehorse to Dawson

We've decided to take mombear's advice and rent a car in Whitehorse. My wife and I will be driving from Whitehorse to Skagway to ride the White Horse & Yukon steam train.and then from Whitehorse to Dawson and return for Discovery Days and to see my great-grandfather's gold claim on Bonanza Creek.

So now I can repeat my question: what should we see while driving these routes? Is there an interesting place to stay between Whitehorse and Dawson City?

We decided to fly into Whitehorse from Vancouver rather than from Seattle to Juneau and then the Alaska ferry to Skagway. That way would be linger and more expensive. Air North has an inexpensive rate from Vancouver.

Doing this long ahead planning is getting us excited about this trip.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
947 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What not to miss Whitehorse to Dawson

You could visit Keno and Mayo. Beautiful places. You could drive 75km on the Dempster Highway to the Tombstone Territorial Park. Quite a view.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
947 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What not to miss Whitehorse to Dawson

The steam train is on Fridays only at noon and goes a few miles past the summit. The excursion that takes you by train from Skagway to Carcross, Yukon takes you back to Skagway by bus. You can also connect for Whitehorse ( 80km ) is by bus. If possible, choose a sunny day.

6. Re: What not to miss Whitehorse to Dawson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 20, 2014