We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yukon Travel Planning Help

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Yukon Travel Planning Help

We plan renting a 23' RV and driving Klondike loop / AK hiway next July. Whitehorse/Dawson/Chicken/Haines Junction/Whitehorse or the opposite direction. Is either better direction to make this trip? Is 7 days sufficient? Will we need to reserve space in camprgrounds? I've ordered the Yukon visitor booklet, any other key resources?

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
791 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yukon Travel Planning Help

Hi, 7 days is the minimum. You should book ahead. Chicken is kind of interesting but don't forget that Taylor Haighway has nice semi-wild campgrounds. The Milepost may be of some use

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yukon Travel Planning Help

ICan you possibly add another 3 days to your trip ??.....that would really give you more time to enjoy the area, maybe even a drive down to Haines Alaska from Haines Junction.....that stretch of highway has some of the most stunning scenery you will ever see and a good chance to see bears, as well......maybe a drive down to Haines, spend the night then ferry to Skagway and drive back to Whitehorse......if you decide on this route, be sure to book the ferry in advance......

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
15,530 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yukon Travel Planning Help

Always check road condition at www.511.alaska.gov

At the Alaska border we had to drive back because of landslides and washouts on the Taylor. Mombear's itinerary is really great.

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yukon Travel Planning Help

I would suggest booking an early reservation for the RV campground. You may read reviews about a certain campground on the internet, as much as possible don't rely on pictures.

is this your first time to take this route?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yukon Travel Planning Help

If you are planning on staying in private rv parks, then I agree you should probably make a reservation.......if you are staying in a Yukon Provincial park campground (ie: Kathleen Lake and Million Dollar Falls near Haines Junction) you won't need reservations.....these are really nice campgrounds and I rarely see more than 1 or 2 campers in them.......

6. Re: Yukon Travel Planning Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 06, 2012