We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advise please - my trip yukon/alaska

Sassenheim, The...
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
advise please - my trip yukon/alaska

I am planning my trip from Vancouver to Whitehorse -

Dawson city to Alaska and back via Hains junction to Haines/ Skagway.

I like the autumn, so I want to make the trip in September, starting in Whitehorse 4 september and ending in Skagway on september the 24th. And going from there with the ferry to Pr. Rupert.

Is this to late?

road conditions - snow? I wanted to rent a normal car, not a 4 wd.

has anyone experience in that period?

thanks

yvonne

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,724 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advise please - my trip yukon/alaska

Hi Yvonne;

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into the US. You may be asked by Customs when entering the US, or when re-entering Canada, for this documentation.

Best Regards

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advise please - my trip yukon/alaska

You're coming a bit too late if you want to see and do anything tourism-related. Dawson starts closing down in late August, Whitehorse the first week of September and Skagway the middle of September. You can rent a car in Whitehorse to make the trip but can't drop it in Skagway (and you're planning on coming after the last bus, so there is no way to get to Skagway).

Murray

Sassenheim, The...
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advise please - my trip yukon/alaska

thanks Murray,

we are not very tourist-season people. However we want to visit the museum in Skagway. the last day of the train is 23th sept. so I should perhaps change the dates.

We must take the car with us on the ferry to Pr. Rupert. from there back to Vancouver. we will be leaving Canada half october.

yvonne

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advise please - my trip yukon/alaska

You won't be able to get a car in Whitehorse and drop it in Vancouver.

Sassenheim, The...
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advise please - my trip yukon/alaska

no we come bij car from Vancouver and back to Vancouver. our trip will take in total 6 weeks.

yvonne

6. Re: advise please - my trip yukon/alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 16, 2009