We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through - opinions needed

Warner Robins...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving through - opinions needed

My husband and I are driving to the lower 48 from Alaska next month. Trying to finalize the plans...but I've got a question. We were going to drive from Fairbanks to Whitehorse in a day, and then Whitehorse to Ft. Nelson, but it's quite a long drive and my husband is worried it'll be too much (his friend said it can sometimes take 13-14 hours to get to Whitehorse) So I was just hoping to get opinions from others who have driven through. What would you do...just go for it? Or break up the days and stop in Lake Watson and Haines Junction in between?

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through - opinions needed

As you know, conditions in April can get really ugly, so I'd stay VERY flexible, and just stop where ever it feels right. Some days I can do Fairbanks-Whitehorse in one shot, but others Haines Junction feels safer, particularly if I've hit ice around the lake and am tired. Same goes for Fort Nelson - the potential for ugly roads is even higher through that section.

Warner Robins...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through - opinions needed

Thanks! Yeah, after a lot of considerations, I think we are just going to keep things flexible and see how it goes.

3. Re: Driving through - opinions needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 22, 2009