We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Car Rental - Saskatoon Airport - be careful

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz Car Rental - Saskatoon Airport - be careful

1. The Hertz rental office is located a couple of miles away from the airport which requires you to take a taxi from the airport to the Hertz office and, then, from their office to the airport when you return the car. While they will provide a taxi chit to pay for the cab fare, you still need to provide the tip for the driver. It is a time consuming and inconvenient process. BTW make sure that you ASK for the taxi chits or you will pay for both taxi trips from your own pocket!

2. During a recent trip (Oct 2011), the full size car that we rented had >70,000 km, was dirty inside and out and I had to wash the inside of the windshield. The windshield was chipped and there were scratches in many places on the car (not acknowledged by the agency in their assessment provided to me until I pointed them out and specifically requested they be identified.) There were empty pop cans and other trash in the back seat. The manager of the rental agency advised that they "had to take the car out of storage" to rent it to me. (I guess this made its condition acceptable, somehow!)

3. During this same rental we dropped the keys into their night box (at 4:00 AM) and proceeded to the airport. The drop box was not working properly. It took several attempts to get the keys deposited however the Hertz staff claimed that they could not retireve the key. Despite reassuring them on separate occasions the key was in the lock box and getting their assurances that they would disassemble the box, they had a new "key" programmed and sent me a bill for $456.00 three months later.

Needless to say, I will not rent from any Hertz location in future. I caution individuals renting in Saskatoon to exercise caution with this operation. BTW there are great lessons described throughout this website regarding Hertz and other rental companies. Be prudent and exercise caution.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Saskatoon Airport - be careful

Good information to share. We usually rent with Enterprise inside and outside the city and never had a problem. Hopefully you disputed the charge to your credit card. I would also contact Hertz's head office and file a formal complaint. You probably also got charged extra for an airport rental.

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Saskatoon Airport - be careful

I disputed the charge and, after several e-mails I escalated the entire issue to a claims supervisor. Ultimately we "agreed" to split the "hard costs" to Hertz. (i.e. the actual cost of the replacement "key" for the electronic ignition. That cost was documented with a copy of an invoice from a local car dealerships. I refused to pay Hertz's arbitrary "service fees", etc.). Regardless, I ended up paying nearly $200 in addition to my car rental for the incompetence of the Hertz staff and their inability to retrieve the key from their equipment.

My lessons learned on this trip:

1. At the time of receipt of the rental car I will go over the car very carefully WITH a car rental representative, document everything that they show or do not show as scratches/damages to the rental car. Potentially take photos of the car at the time of receipt.

2. I will NEVER leave the car at an overnight drop off location and deposit the keys. In future I will photograph the car as I returned it. I will conduct a post-rental inspection of the returned car WITH a car rental employee when I turn in the car to them AND get their verfification that there are no additional damages.

I learned a lesson and, while my future actions may sound a bit excessive, I will not get used by a car company again.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Saskatoon Airport - be careful

When ever I've done a drop off, I also take lots of pictures of the car. I also take pictures of the keys going into the drop box.

I'm sorry you had such a rough experience with Hertz. I always rent from Enterprise because we have found they are very honest.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Saskatoon Airport - be careful

I can vouch for Enterprise in Saskatoon. I rented a car there last year at the airport and discovered after less than two hours that I didn't need it. Well the tank was only about 7/8 full when I rented it but I topped it up anyway. Since I had only driven 4 km it was evident to the guy behind the counter that I did them a favour. Not only did they not charge me for the short time I had the vehicle they actually paid me for the gas I put in. They have earned my business.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Saskatoon Airport - be careful

The lesson should really be you need a credit/charge card that has rental car insurance and use it for car rentals. I also signed up for the rental companies' frequent renter programs and pre-selected all the insurance options.

I used those cards with all kinds of rental companies, reputable or at known bad locations. I had returned cars that I caused damage and just dropped them off without documentation or photograph. So far I never had any damage charges on my card.

The only dispute I ever had was with Hertz when I was misled into signing and accepting the CDW in France, and being charged for the CDW fee. I later called Hertz headquarters in US and those CDW charges were promptly removed.

Alternatively get the optional rental car insurance with your own auto insurance. When rental companies know that they have to deal with an insurance company (yours or your credit card's), they don't make funny claims.

Edited: 9:25 pm, April 21, 2012
6. Re: Hertz Car Rental - Saskatoon Airport - be careful

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, April 23, 2013