We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Toronto to southern Saskatchewan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Toronto to southern Saskatchewan

thinking of driving from Toronto to southern Saskatchewan. A lot of the online maps show best route is through the US. Is it the best? Definitely faster than through Ontario

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,315 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Toronto to southern Saskatchewan

What is your definition of "best"? Most scenic? Fastest? Shortest? Lots of places to stop over, and attractions on the way?

Do you have passports?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Toronto to southern Saskatchewan

yes have passports...did the drive oh about 28 years ago going around Lake Superior

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
91 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Toronto to southern Saskatchewan

I have only driven the long way, either through Chicago and Detroit (for the scenery, etc.), or north shore of Lake Superior (for the scenery, etc.). People who travel it more often seem to find the quickest way is through Sault Ste Marie and Duluth. I believe that the time saving would be even greater than is suggested by Googlemaps (4 hours) because of the speed one can travel on the Interstate. I have not heard of anyone taking a ferry across Lake Michigan as suggested by Googlemaps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Toronto to southern Saskatchewan

I suppose it depends exactly what part of southern Saskatchewan you're driving to. I drive to Saskatoon and don't find that you really save any time going through the states. But then Saskatoon is a good deal further north.

I've done three routes:

1) Going down to Detroit, crossing there and driving through Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and into SK (also done this and crossed into MB from Minnesota).

The advantage of this one is that it's 4 lane divided highway (401 and interstates) almost the entire way. However you can get stuck in horribel traffic in both Detroit and Chicago. There can be a lot of heavy traffic through Wisconsin as well. I felt like this drive didn't save time and was more hassle than it's worth. But it's probably the safest winter route.

If you do it consider crossing at Sarnia and taking I69 down to I94. You avoid Detroit that way and it saves a little time.

2) Crossing at Sault Ste. Marie and driving along the souther shore of Lake Michigan. This route probably will save you time. But be aware that you'll be driving predominantly along state highways. It can be slow moving during vacation season when you get stuck behing motor homes and stuff like that. Road conditions wise it'd have the same concerns you'd have about driving the Trans Canada in winter.

3) The Trans Canada. It's straight forward, no borders to cross, good inexpensive overnight accomodation, and scenically beautiful. It's my favourite. Toronto-Saskatoon in 29 hours.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Toronto to southern Saskatchewan

ya did the Trans Canada route. 29 hours is roughly over 2 days travel I believe, cant do it without stopping

6. Re: Best route from Toronto to southern Saskatchewan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 26, 2011