We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to bruno (saskatoon)

london
2 posts
Save Topic
moving to bruno (saskatoon)

hi i am a british citizen, but want to get out of london and buy a house in cannada, i have found a great property in bruno. aprox 50 mins from saskatoon. i havent really been able to find much info about the place. i love hunting, fishing, and beautiful scenery and bruno sounds just right but id like to know if there is anything i should know like, whats the weather like? the people? the amenities? anything to watch out for? any problems with overseas purchase of property?

any help any body can give me will be greatfully recieved please reply to beatbullyingbands@email.com

thanks so much

ryan

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to bruno (saskatoon)

I have no information about purchase of properties from overseas....you should speak to your solicitor about the details.

But, as for the area near Bruno, I can tell you it does offer beautiful scenery, lakes and hills. The winters can be harsh but the people are friendly and the lifestyle fairly relaxed. I have visited the area just east and north of there but only in the summer.

There are many things to consider when making a move such as this. One thing that often comes up in this forum is to spend some time in the area you're considering before making the leap. It is worth the expense.

Have a look at the website britishexpats.com for more information and forums and good luck!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to bruno (saskatoon)

I live in Saskatoon. I don't know much about Bruno, but here's what I do know. It's population as of 2001 was 571, down from 648 in 1996. A couple of years ago it lost its largest employer, a commerical feedlot. It's most famous resident is Percy Schmeiser, a farmer who fought against the Monsanto corporation over genetically modified canola.

The cost of living would likely be dramatically lower than what you're used to in London. However, living in small town Saskatchewan means you will likely have limited access to most services. I expect you would need to drive to Humboldt (30 min) or Saskatoon (1.5 hrs) for medical and dental services, entertainment, etc.

Also, the winters are long and cold in Saskatchewan. There is snow and below freezing temperatures from about the beginning of November to the end of March. It can drop to the -30C range in January and February. It would be a bit of a shock if you're not accustomed to the climate.

Here's a web site with a little more info on Bruno.

…ic.gc.ca/humboldt/community/bruno.htm

Mentioned in this post
Humboldt
Humboldt
Saskatchewan, Canada