We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

Which Tadoussac hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

We're travelling from Quebec City to Rimouski for one night then taking the ferry across and staying in Bergeronnes for a couple nights before moving on to Baie St Paul and back to Quebec City. We're looking for information on recommended sightseeing etc as well as the best point to cross by ferry after our stay in Rimouski. We are interested in history and nature and are planning to do a zodiac whale watching tour while in Bergeronnes. Any travel advice on this region is appreciated! We are new to this area. It will be my husband and I travelling.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

I should have been a bit clearer about the ferry - we were wondering if the Rimouski to Forestville ferry was the best crossing for a nice scenic drive or should we drive further along to Matane:)

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
573 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

In rimouski if you like it, you can visit a submarine

http://www.shmp.qc.ca/indexen.html

Or the museum about the Empress of Ireland shipwreck

shmp.qc.ca/empress/bref/empressbrefen.html

It is very nice to drive to Matane but the crossing will be longer...as the St Lawrence will be larger

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

This looks very interesting. Thanks for the information!

Montreal
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

Hi Penny,

If you haven't read it yet, here's a link to some nice sight view to look for whales from the shore.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155036-i2735-k371…

Have a good vacation

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
706 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

On your way to Rimouski are you planning on visiting the Le Bic National Park...? www.sepaq.com/pq/bic/index.dot?language_id=1

If you are intested in history I would also suggest you stop for a few hours at 'Musée maritime du Québec' in l'Islet (75 km est of Quebec bridge). It is mainly about the life of Captain J-E Bernier. Between 1904 and 1911, Captain Joseph Bernier did more than any other person to solidify Canada's claim to the Arctic Islands The Museum's web site is french only http://mmq.qc.ca/ but the exposition is bilingual (and you can also have an English tour if you ask)

Rimouski (Québec)
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

You may cross from Rimouski to Forestville on a fast catamaran ferry boat (55 minutes crossing time in nice weather):

http://www.traversier.com/

Or you could drive back to Trois-Pistoles approximately 45 km West of Rimouski and take the ferry to Les Escoumins. A little slower but on this crossing you stand a pretty good chance to see whales and belugas as you approach the dock at Les Escoumins:

http://traversiercnb.ca/

Reserve ahead of time (at least 48 hours before the crossing)

While in Rimouski you should visit the Maison Lamontagne which is the oldest house still standing in the region:

bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/attractions-director…

The tourism office downtown gives away a three day pass to out of town tourists allowing them free parking anywhere on the city streets without having to put money in the parking meters.

Robert

Edited: 8:28 pm, July 25, 2013
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

No I hadn't seen that yet. Thank you that's some great information!

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

I had made notes about Bic National Park but hadn't researched it further yet. Thank you for both suggestions.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

Thank you for this wealth of information! We're tempted to retrace to Trois-Pistoles now. Whale watching is high on our list! I never would have know about the parking pass either.

10. Re: Rimouski and Tadoussac travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 28, 2014