We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec city in Late September

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec city in Late September

Hi all, My family and I will be in Quebec city in late September, maybe through to early October.

What are the best places around Quebec City to enjoy the Autum Foliage of Quebec along with some of the more scenic areas of Quebec at this time of year that I should Visit?

I'm keen on photography, nature and the outdoors, so to take these into account, along with the foliage, where should we go?

thanks alot.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec city in Late September

Hi Judy

May you invest in the last week of September, more than anything else. The foliage change period varies, could be earlier one year, later another year, but the last week of September is a winner.If you may take longer? A few days before AND a few days after.

You will find some suggestions in these past posts: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155025-i50-k79555…

You mentioned liking the outdoors: not far from Québec City: Cap Tourmente National Wildlife Park (tons of birds, hiking trails), Canyon Ste-Anne (these 2 are within 15 minutes drive from the Old Town), also Parc de la Jacques-Cartier and Duchesnay, these 2 within a half hour drive from town. Although the 2 latter are a nice place to walk and enjoy nature, I must tell you that they are likely to be a tad less appealing, colourwise: woody areas have a different schedule, when it comes to color changes : it will look lovely from the road, but once you get in the woods, it will be more yellow than anything, unless you are damn lucky to be here at the precise moment where the woods are flaming red and ochers. Duchesnay is on the northern side of the river, west of Québec City, and is part of Portneuf county. This county is very much woody - I was there in September at a friend's cottage, and the color change was much earlier than it was in town.

If you land in MTL and pick up a rental car from there, I would suggest you to drive on HWY 40 (through the northern side of the river). If your timing is good, you will be treated with s/thing like 250 km of color orgy. I dislike this HWY very much, cause I find it is highly sleep inducing, but at that time of the year, it will be different. The last villages just before Québec are old and pretty, close to the river.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. And check the "Inside Page: Day trips" -- I have put loads of info in it, including numerous links for nature lovers.

2. Re: Quebec city in Late September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 21, 2009