We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec Cristmas Market

washington,dc
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec Cristmas Market

My sister and I are visiting the weekend of December 15th and plan to take in the Christmas market. Can someone provide me with some details as to what it is and what is special to purchase? I have been to the Christmas market in Germany where you have many varieties of local food, spiced cider and beautiful ornaments for sale so I am wondering if this is comparable? Thanks!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec Cristmas Market

From TA's Québec City Inside Page: Shopping: "The Marché du Vieux-Port (Old Port Market) is a popular food market a few meters away from St-Paul St. Fruits and veggies in season, it holds a fantastic winter market with fine products (a wide array of ice ciders you may taste, fine meat delicacies, local fine pastries, jams, home-made beers (even spruce beer!), etc., along with one or two jewelry stands whose choice and prices are to die for, medicinal herbs and so on). If you're around in December, the Christmas market is not to be missed, from December 1st to the 31st. The Marché du Vieux-Port is open from 9:30 to 6PM, Fridays until 8PM. Closed Dec 25 & 26."

If you go to this page, I put a link under "Marché du Vieux-Port" that shows you its location. Mid-December is good timing, since there will still be a lot of very fine delicacies on sale (one week later and it would become a bit different). Different local ice cider producers all compete so you buy their stuff - hence the free tasting. Mind you, even if the quantity is small at each stand, the addition can be potent. The very best one being from Domaine Steinbach (my personal taste) from Île d'Orléans, who also makes excellent "confit de canard", among other things. If there were to be some ornaments for sale, it would be marginal (you should head for Rue du Petit-Champlain for that).

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s405/Quebec-C…

washington,dc
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec Cristmas Market

Sounds like a gourmand's delight!! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec Cristmas Market

It actually is :-)) It might be a good idea to check what you will be allowed to bring back home, legally speaking (customs regulations). I just added 2 addresses for places where you may buy food, in the same page I referred you too : if you're not allowed to bring meat (even canned "confit" to die for) or fresh cheeses, you could always pig out on fresh bread, duck "pâtés" or "confits", even foie gras, washed down with the best ice cider, on the premises : ) ... ...

Oh, and there are some local fine liquors, too (made of blackcurrant berries, etc). If you like spices, there is a fabulous shop in there, selling amazing varieties of pepper corns from all over the world, and other spices as well.

washington,dc
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec Cristmas Market

Wonderful! Thank you.

Perhaps you could shed some light on some restaurants - I have read contradicting reviews on Panache, Initial and Laurie Raphael.

Have you visited these and do you have an opinion? Thanks

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
881 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec Cristmas Market

L'Initiale is our absolute favorite. Just celebrated my birthday there last Thursday and was completely distracted from the high,, disturbing number by the incredible meal paired with wonderful wines. My husband and I have never been disappointed here. We love the spacious, serene atmosphere, the warm, but highly professional service and the creative, but restrained cuisine. They do not try to mix too many flavors into towers of food that don't taste good. They use fine ingredients, meld them beautifully and present them with finesse.

6. Re: Quebec Cristmas Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 13, 2009