We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel for Saturday night over labor day weekend

Edinburgh, Sootland
2 posts
Save Topic
hotel for Saturday night over labor day weekend

We are arriving in Toronto from Scotland on the 31st August and travelling to Baie St Paul where we have accomodation from Sunday 3d Sept.

My question is how easy will it be to find accomodation on Saturday night of labor day weekend?

I think probably somewhere on the main highway between Montreal and Quebec city ? We'd rather not travel into the cities, just looking for somewhere to sleep and move on in the morning. I'm worried your holiday weekend will mean no room at the inn!

Thanks

Les

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel for Saturday night over labor day weekend

Welcome to Québec : )

And congrats on your decision to go to Baie-St-Paul ; )

In Quebec City itself, I think you might have some difficulties finding something available, though not impossible I imagine.

Traditionnally, half-way between Montreal and Québec, people stop in Drummondville, a city with nothing special, really, but with several hotels, motels and restaurants, where you might consider staying. Or, in the area of Québec, on blvd Ste-Anne (east, along the river, on your way to Baie-St-Paul anyway) there are loads of motels. I cannot foresee that every single room would be taken!

How many are you ?

(P.S.: Did you check the "Quebec City Inside Page: Daytrips", where there are links about Charlevoix area ?)

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel for Saturday night over labor day weekend

And I should add that, if you are from Edinburgh, you will see quite a few similarities between Quebec City and your hometown! (re: architecture, Upper and Lower Town, castle, outdoor staircases...)

Edinburgh, Sootland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel for Saturday night over labor day weekend

Many thanks- I am now ressured we will find something "on spec".

We loved the fact on our last trip where we travelled in Ontario it was like driving thru a mixed up jigsaw map of Scotland.

We are looking forward to our trip around some parts of Quebec - there is just the two of us.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel for Saturday night over labor day weekend

I have been to Scotland twice (last time: May 2006), and I could not say the same. Found everything nicer over there : )

I do wish you will be here long enough to see at least the beginning of the changes in the foliage.

Concerning Drummondville: I forgot to mention that if you intend to find a place to sleep anywhere between Montreal and Québec City, you MUST drive on the south shore (HWY 20) of the river. Otherwise, there is not much else than neverending boring trees for 200 km, on the north shore (HWY 40) ... the sleeper's HWY ... zzZZzzzZZzzzzz ....

To see how to enter Québec from the HWY 20, see ''How to cross the St-Laurent River'', in Québec City Inside Page: Arriving and departing

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s301/Quebec-C…

And do not forget to pay a visit to Île-aux-Coudres, facing Baie-St-Paul (free ferry), and to the 2 magnificent national parks there are in the area.

Atlantic Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel for Saturday night over labor day weekend

Well well don't forget Trois-Rivières on the 40 between Montreal and Quebec - twice the population of Drummondville :) But I agree that the usual route to Quebec City coming from Ontario is the 20 on the south shore.

Les I really don't think you'll have any problem finding a place to stay on the Saturday night, especially if you're just looking for a place alongside the highway or in Drummondville, and not right in Quebec City or Old Montreal, where the long weekend might be busier.

Have a great trip!

New York City
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel for Saturday night over labor day weekend

Funny coincidence you might enjoy knowing about (unless you already do!)! On Saturday & Sunday, Sept 2nd & 3rd, there is the Quebec City Celtic Festival in and around the Morrin Centre, St. Andres Church & Garden.

Here's a link to the schedule of events:

festivalceltique.morrin.org/en/schedule.php

I found out about it while doing a search on events in Quebec City, as I will be visiting from NYC over that weekend as well. Have a fun trip!

7. Re: hotel for Saturday night over labor day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 13, 2009