We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report.

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report.

Bonjour.

We just returned from the most enjoyable vacation in Quebec City. Stayed at the most beautiful Hotel Dominion 1912. The rooms are a dream...ultra clean, spacious, chic and very romantic. The bed is so comfortable, we purchased one from their boutique. The Salle de Bain is awesome with an aqua marine glass sink, rainfall shower and separate bathtub. The staff are very knowledgeable, friendly and will go out of their way to help make your stay a pleasant one. It doesn't get much better than this as far as hotels go.

http://www.hoteldominion.com/

There is so much to see and do in and around Quebec City, it can actually be difficult narrowing down your itinerary on any given day. Here are a few highlites from our trip last week:

Visited the Musee des Beaux- Arts du Quebec, to see the special exhibit of the works by Canadian artist Clarence Gagnon. It was definitely worth the $12.00 admission (runs until September 10)

www.mnba.qc.ca/Afficher.aspx…

Spent an afternoon on Île d'Orléans. It is a short drive across the bridge to get to this picturesque area. Had a lovely lunch there, drove around, and visited a few small art galleries. It has to be one of the most peaceful places I have ever been to.

quebecweb.com/tourismeiledorleans/introang.h…

My favorite area in this city is the Rue de Petit Champlain. There are several boutiques, restaurants and cafes lining this adorable street. Much of the jewelry, prints, scarves and a variety of other items are made in the area by talented artisans. The evening we went to Rue Petit Champlain it was filled with people coming and going and the street was all lit up with tiny little lights and there was a musician entertaining everyone in the centre of the street at one of the bistros. The ambiance of this street can best be described as enchanting.

quartierpetitchamplain.com/eng/quartier_hist…

One day we went to J.A. Moisan, the oldest grocery store in North America and to a health food store which is right across the road from the grocery store. Worth going to both ....picked up some imported items to bring back home at this fascinating grocery store. It has a display of old cans, bottles and such...it's a very interesting place to check out! We enjoyed the store so much, we can't wait to go back.

http://www.jamoisan.com/english_history.html

The health food store was a treat to visit, for the selection they had was staggering. It is called Le Crac, and it is on St-Jean Street, as mentioned directly across the road from Moisan. They have everything from organic fresh fruits and vegetables to dry goods and several types of vitamins and so much more. My husband reads a lot of information on vitamins and organic foods, and always checks out health food stores and he was very impressed with Le Crac. Needless to say we left there with a few arm fulls,

http://www.lecrac.com/

This trip was the first time we went to Sillery...heard about it from this Trip Advisor site!! It is only a five minute drive from the centre of Quebec City. Another lovely area that is both interesting for it's history and has a great downtown area filled with unique boutiques, bookstores and restaurants. Will be adding Sillery to our list of places to go back to, without a doubt. Type in Sillery in this site's search bar.

http://www.quebecregion.com/e/

One day we strolled around St. Paul Street and peaked into the several antique shops and art galleries. Then we drove around to take photos of the walls that surround the city and other landmarks, which seem to appear everywhere. We also drove around a few residential areas and saw many lovelty homes of all shapes and sizes which have obviously been built with great attention to every detail.

I have never seen so many restaurants as I do in Quebec City and many of them have something unique to offer. Regardless if it is the menu, the decor or what have you, each one that we dined in was special in their own way.

The best meal this trip, has to be the dinner we had one evening at Panache. The food, the atmosphere, the service was pure perfection. We will most assuredly be back there as well. Go into the dining section on this site, for more details, and I believe there are a few photos of the restaurant as well.

http://www.saint-antoine.com/

We had dinner at many other fine restaurants....however I have to end this report at some point so i can not mention each one. We enjoyed every moment while in this incredible city I must mention, that to a great extent, the reason we had such a wonderful vacation was due to the considerable kindness shown to us while in Quebec City. Thank you also to eirelover and everyone who helped out on this forum.

Thank you for taking the time to read my trip report.....all the best!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report.

Hi northerndecorator : )

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip, and thank you for taking the time to report !

Since you enjoyed J.A. Moisan so much, you might want to check their French website: there is a short video filmed there, which was aired on Radio-Canada (CBC), on a foodie program.

Could you find any watercolors, finally ?

Before you come back, I will check this furniture store you asked about and will tell you ...

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report.

Hi eire....thank you for your kind words.

To tell you the truth I never did find too many water colors. However on our way ouf of town when we left on Sunday I saw an art gallery that we had not been to before that I can't wait to go to it when we come back in March. I didn't get the name but I will recognize it when I see it.

Thanks for the info on the grocery store, I will certainly check that out. I love that store! It must be amazing to go there at Christmas time! We are still enjoying the goodies we purchased there. I can't explain it but it really felt like I was stepping back in time while shopping there, athough I am sure every one else feels that way too. I love Quebec City, I can see why many people live there. It was our 7th trip there, so you can see we do like it a lot!!

Best wishes eire.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report.

nd~

Thanks so much for the great trip report with lots of suggestions for our next visit in November----if all goes well. I can see we might have to drive instead of fly if I want to bring home Christmas gifts!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report.

7th trip ?! LOL I think we could talk of some kind of addiction, couldn't we ;-? A sweet one, of course...

I posted the info on this site about J.A. Moisan, Le Crac and La carotte joyeuse precisely because I enjoy going there, and I thought somebody would maybe like it too - it is going to be a hit, I guess !!

(next time you come, try L'Épicerie européenne, a bit farther on St-Jean - see 'Where to buy groceries' http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s405/Quebec-City:Quebec:Shopping.html)

ND, I think you would do a great job, writing reviews about Québec City's restaurants : ) You are already doing a good job at advertising the city - thanx ; ))

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report.

For Tobie.

Thank you for your kind remarks Tobie....FYI we shipped many items we purchased, via the bus and the items were waiting for us at the bus station when we returned home....they actually arrived home before we did. We shipped the boxes the day before we left and it was very inexpensive shipping this way. The bus station in Quebec City is centrally located and not hard to get to at all.

The shopping in Quebec City is great and since we are getting to know the area so well we are starting to know where to go and for what.

Make sure you go to the Rue de Petit Champlain if you are doing Christmas shopping. I actually got a head start on ours seeing as we will not be back until next March and there were some items that I thought would make wonderful gifts and I just couldn't resist. Make sure you let us all know how you enjoyed your trip to Quebec City. If you need any advice eirelover has helped a lot....and I will be happy to answer any questions from a tourist point of view.

Thanks again and best wishes!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report.

For Eirelover.

Thank you once again for your kind comments. I checked out your link and I have a pretty good idea from the map where L'Épicerie Européenne is. We will most definitely check it out in March. I love Italian grocery stores, and from the sounds of it many of their items are Italian.

Funny you should remark about reviews for Quebec City restaurants. I was thinking I may write up a little report, some time in the future, on the restaurants we have visited so far. We had such amazing dining experiences.

I know 7 times in Quebec must be some sort of record. Our first time there was in 1999, and we try and make it back every year during the March break. I live in a very, very remote area, with virtually no shopping so when I have a chance to shop I have to really take advantage and plan for what I will be needing. Thankfully we are fortunate enough to spend a lot of time in Toronto and the shopping there is fabulous as well. Quite different from Quebec City shopping, but Toronto has some of the best shopping anywhere!!

Speaking of Toronto...have you been there? I have to put a good word in for my second home....it is a great city as well, with so many interesting and diverse things to do.

Take care...and all the best to you.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report.

nd~

Thanks for all the information about shipping! That would really help since I think we will be flying and I certainly don't want to feel limited in my purchases. :)

It's been toooo long since we've visited Quebec City......20 years I'm sorry to say, so I'll need to make up for lost time! Tobie

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report.

Hi Tobie,

If you haven't been there in 20 years you are in for a few surprises as far as shopping choices go.

There is an area about a 15 min. drive from downtown Quebec City that has 3 malls all connected to one another. There are hundreds and hundreds of stores there with everything from shoes, clothes, jewelry to furniture. In Old Quebec there are two amazing Christmas stores, probably the best I have seen anywhere. If you like china, there is a store that has this beautiful china from France, plus many Limoges pieces and high quality pewter items, etc.

If you do go (and I highly recommend you do!!) let me know and I will give you the direct telephone number for the bus stattion in case you wish to call for hours of operation etc as I had such a time getting that phone number.

Take care.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report.

@ ND: if you think J.A. Moisan is somethig to see around Christmas time, you have seen nothing re: rue du Petit-Champlain: great shopping, and small lighted up Christmas trees all along the street, on both side ... you would not want to leave if you went : )

Yes, I have been to Toronto quite a few times, and enjou it. Actually, would you believe that when I lived in Montreal (for 1 year), I used to buy my coffee in bulk at the Kensington Market ;-? Now that I live in Québec, I buy it in Montreal, on St-Laurent St - go figure (actually, if you do not know that place, you should bookmark it for future reference: "La vieille Europe", on St-Laurent St -- tremendous amount of cheeses, coffees, teas and goodies from all over Europe there, just fabulous!)

@ tobie: I strongly advise you to visit the "Quebec City Inside Pages" before you come - there are loads of useful links in there

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s405/Quebec-C…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s301/Quebec-C… (where there is a link to Via Rail's phone numbers..., among other things ; )

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report.

Good evening Eirelover.

I can only imagine what Rue de Petit Champlain looks like at Christmas time, it would be a dream.

We have always said if we are ever "home alone" at Christmas (if our daughter doesn't come home and goes to her boyfriend's) because we would be so lonely without her, we would go to Quebec City for Christmas. So it is not out of the realm of possibilites.

You mentioned coffee...obviously you are a fan. My husband has a coffee roaster and he roasts coffee from all over the world .... he enjoys it so much. Sadly, I am allergic and the smell of coffee roasting is unbelievably delicious, it's just not fair!!

The place you referred to in Montreal...does it sell coffee beans that you have to roast yourself? We will definitely have to check out that place our next trip.

Thanks so much eire!!

Best wishes.