We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To rent a car or not rent a car?

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Olathe, kS
3 posts
Save Topic
To rent a car or not rent a car?

Coming to QC for the first time (10 year Anniversary). Staying in Old Town and we would like to go on one of the Whale excursions and perhaps another boat tour of the fjords etc... Should I rent a car for a day or two since we would like to tour around a little or is it easy enough to go with water taxis/taxis/bus etc...

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To rent a car or not rent a car?

You will be well advised to rent a car. Whale-watching is over 4 hours drive east of Québec City, and not much public transportation going there. No such a thing as a water taxi. And for your information, there is 1 fjord in the province: the Saguenay.

For your stay in town itself, you absolutely do not need a car. But for whale-watching, or touring around (see ''Quebec City Inside Page: Daytrips''), you need one, unless you limit your daytrips to the immediate vicinity of Qc City.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To rent a car or not rent a car?

Hello South.

Good advice from Eirelover...I would agree, you do not need a car for the days you stay in Quebec City. However, there is so much to do as well in the line of day trips that a rental car would be advised for those days.

If you do rent a car I would suggest you spend a few hours touring around the Île d'Orléans. You will find information at this site about the islands. It is only a short drive from Quebec City....maybe 15 minutes and it is so peaceful and beautiful.

bonjourquebec.com/ca-en/villesquebec0.html

If you enjoy art exhibits, I would recommend a visit to the Musee des Beaux- Arts du Quebec. There is a wonderful Clarence Gagnon special exhibit being showed at this time. It was a lovely way to spend an afternoon and the museum itself is just gorgeous. I would also recommend going to Sillery if you rent the car. Again, just a few minutes drive and it has a lovely downtown area with little boutiques, restaurants and such.

Have a great time!

Olathe, kS
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To rent a car or not rent a car?

Thanks for the Advice

Is it really a 4 hour drive to Baie-Ste Catherine Pier?

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To rent a car or not rent a car?

Sorry if I am late to address your 2nd question.

Baie Ste-Catherine is near Tadoussac. See http://maps.google.com/ Type ''Itinerary'', then: from ''Quebec City, QC, Canada'' to ''Tadoussac, QC, Canada'' and see what driving time it gives you.

I found something that might suit you more than a car rental + driving + gas: AML offers a bus + cruise deal. A daytrip. Departure from Québec City at 9:15 AM, and return for 7:30PM.

HA! - searching this info, I just found out that the bus from Baie-Ste-Catherine does it in 3 hours!! Speedy driver ... (took me longer than that to Tadousssac)

Anyway, if interested to have more details, see: www.croisieresaml.com/AC.html…

Note that if you choose the daytrip with AML, it rules out the possibility of touring over the magnificent fjord itself.

Hope it helps.

5. Re: To rent a car or not rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 17, 2009