We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec City visit. We want to do it ALL!!!

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec City visit. We want to do it ALL!!!

My wife and I and another couple are going to Quebec City for the May two-four long weekend. Here are some details...

Arrive Saturday (by car from Toronto) and departing Monday before noon. Age group is 35 - 45. We are staying at the Hilton downtown. We have requested only sun and warm weather for the entire weekend so definitely want to do some outdoors stuff. A great place to eat for dinner that captures the ambience of QC without blowing the budget would be beneficial. BTW we are all carnivores so no specialty diets required. During the (sun filled) day we want to hit something that is unique to Quebec City and that definitely has to be done (in the event that we never come back). At night...we like live music or piano bars and we definitely enjoy our beer and a crowd within our age group. Ladies are into the older, cobble stone artsy stuff so a recommendation there would be helpful. In the event that my request for sun is NOT fulfilled I need a to-do indoors the does NOT include a brass pole and scantily dressed ladies. Finally need to know if the rumours are true. My French...well...really sucks. Will that impede the service I receive? Do I need to visit Rosetta Stone before I go? Any and all help would be appreciated - thank you in advance.

Mont Tremblant...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec City visit. We want to do it ALL!!!

"I need a to-do indoors the does NOT include a brass pole and scantily dressed ladies" lol, we get a lot of request for those but for Montréal, not Québec City, a much more prudish place, at least on the surface!

As per the language, have you looked in the Top Questions, upper right side box on top of this page? You will get your answers there and not only on language bus also must dos, city layout, etc.

Since you will be with a car then one day you could go to Montmorency Falls. It will be very early in the growing season so I will not suggest a full tour of Orléans Island nearby but you should try to do the southern half and return to the bridge by Chemin du Mitan.

Live music in a nice environment then you could check if they have jazz at the bar of Hôtel Clarendon. Some pubs around also present shows.

As per your restaurant request, since you are carnivorous, if you are early birds for dinner you can be served the nice daily Table d'Hôte until 5h45 at Aux Anciens Canadiens. Before that cutting time you get less expensive but still great meals and the price includes a glass of wine or beer. Another very carnovorous possibility would be Entrecôte Saint-Jean for steaks (and a few other mains and apps) done the French way; i.e. with fries, salad and sauce. Not a steakhouse really but that doesn't mean that meat is not good. Quite good in fact but it is not Prime.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec City visit. We want to do it ALL!!!

I second the recommendations above: definitely take the time to enjoy a drive around the Ile d'Orleans. There are opportunities to try wine tasting, local cheeses and other regional products although you are too early for the delicious strawberries.

Aux Anciens Canadiens is sometimes overlooked as being a "tourist trap" but the authentic Quebecois fare keeps me coming back again and again. The maple syrup pie is my favorite dessert of all time and I am craving it right now! The table d'hote is a good deal; I recommend it.

For the ladies' cobblestone fix, make sure you go all the way down to the Quartier Petit Champlain. There are plenty of nice shops and a great mural on one of the buildings depicting the history of Quebec City. You will have a bit of a steep hike back up but you're young, you'll be fine! I always visit the Musee de la Civilisation when I am down there but google it first to see if it might be to your liking.

As for the nightlife, my husband and I are about a generation older than you are, so since our kids are grown, we do "break the bank" and indulge in fine dining. We love the Patriarche! I am sure younger folks will have plenty of recommendations for lively gathering spots throughout the city.

One of the many attributes of Quebec City is that it is small enough that you really can get just about everywhere you want to be on foot. The ride out to the Ile d'Orleans is very short; the island is just outside the city, connected by a bridge, but it feels like a world away.

Finally, please don't say you may never return! I head up from Boston every summer; I just can't get Quebec out of my system. Oops, almost forgot: don't forget to try the poutine at Chez Ashton! Have a great time; I can't help feeling a little jealous myself, but I will be back up there in August. Bon voyage!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec City visit. We want to do it ALL!!!

Good information! Thanks for posting.

4. Re: Quebec City visit. We want to do it ALL!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 13, 2015